three

❝you shoved his head down the toilet❞

"We're just three, regular guys," Brad replies, looking at out of the window quickly and then back at Cassandra.

"I'm not stupid—you guys aren't like the other guys I know," she says and Connor raises an eyebrow at her, implying he wants her to emphasise. "You guys have this. . . atmosphere, this mysterious-ness that I don't really know how to describe."

"We're not humans, really," Tristan says. "We're actually secret agent cyborgs that have been sent to earth by the British government to find you, Cassandra. We're going to take you and experiment on you and you'll never see life ever again."

"Wait, really?"

The three boys snigger at her gullibility, "of course I'm joking. It's less complicated than that."

"Oh," she says, feeling embarrassed and stupid for almost believing him. "Well, what are you then?"

"Do you want the full name or the shortened version?" Tristan asks and she shrugs, not really caring. "We're Elementa Turētājs, Latvian for element holder."

"What the fuck is a—whatever it was that you just said," she asks, dumbfounded. She didn't even know how to pronounce it, never-mind know what it was."

"Elementa," Connor says, smiling down at her. "Elementums is a plural. We have powers that are very rare to come across—elements that we hold."

"What? Elements like gold, silver, potassium?"

"No, what the fuck is a potassium?" Brad grumbles, rolling his eyes. The three boys—four of you included James—were brought up home schooled, but didn't learn the harder things related to science and maths, only the basics like how to read and count over ten.

"It doesn't matter—what do you mean elements?" Cassandra asks but before she can reply, a waiter places down some drinks for the four teens.

"Thank you," Connor smiles at the waiter before he leaves with a nod. "By elements we mean the four elements—Earth, Wind, Fire and Water."

"Okay, this is a joke and you guys are pissing about with me," Cassandra shakes her head, attempting to push Connor out of the booth but he doesn't budge.

"We're not joking," Tristan says, the door swinging open but no one entering. He was focusing on trying to prove to her that they weren't lying that he didn't notice the sudden drop in temperature as she shudders and her hair is wafting across her face aggressively.