twenty five

❝im like winter❞

❝im like winter❞

They get home at two in the afternoon. Tristan and Brad had decided to continue working on the truck later and were sat together in the lounge, eating popcorn.

As soon as Cassandra walks through the door, Brad was looking through the ajar door and watches her with a small sigh.

"It's very wet outside!" She laughs over to the two boys in the lounge. "I don't recommend going outside." It was pouring it down with rain and she had only been out the car to get in and out of the car but she was soaked through.

Brad was disappointed that she seemed so happy and could only assume Connor had confessed his feelings and she felt the same. He sighs and turns to face the television.

"Did you have fun?" Tristan asks as the pair walk into the lounge and Brad avoids looking at them.

"Yeah," Connor smiles, Cassandra looking over to Brad and feeling hurt that he wouldn't even look at her. "Well, I did, I don't know about Cassandra."

She turns to the two boys, putting on a faux smile as she rips her gaze off of Brad, "I had fun. The food was nice, too."

"That's true," Connor agrees. "Whetherspoons is always good, and quite cheap, too."

Brad stood up, making a beeline out of the line. It was abrupt and everyone was surprised by his sudden movements, and she purses her lips.

"What's up with him?" Connor snorts and Tristan and Cassandra glance over at him.

"He's been in a bad mood all day," Tristan shrugs. "And after you guys left he was training loads and then helped me in the garage with some stuff. I guess he's tired, too."

"He should put a tampon back in," Connor jokes but Cassandra throws him a warning glance. "Any idea why he stormed out, anyway?"

"No," Tristan shrugs even though he had an inkling on why. "I don't know."

"Shall I go talk to him?" Cassandra asks and Tristan looks over to her with a small nod. She takes off her shoes and leaves them downstairs by the radiator to dry off before following Brad upstairs.

He was in his room, she could hear his heartbeat through the wall. It was erratic and loud and she was hesitant to knock on the door in case he was to lash out on her.

She knocks anyway, pursing her lips. He stopped pacing around his room and paused in his spot, already knowing it was her. She sighs and was about to turn away but he opens the door before she can leave.

He looks her over, noticing that her hair was still wet from the rain and her white shirt had become see through and he could see her bra. He tears his gaze up to her face, even though he didn't really want to.

"I think we should talk," she explains and he nods, urging her to continue. "Because I don't want you to hate me because I went out for lunch with Connor."

He chuckles lowly, "I don't hate you for going on a date with Connor. I couldn't hate you, even if I wanted to."

"Okay," she nods slowly. He steps to the side so that she could walk in and she stands in the middle of his room. "I was just confused why you reacted like you did when you found out and then you didn't even look at me when I came back, I thought I did something wrong."

"I shouldn't have reacted like I did," he smiles, tucking some hair behind her ear. She had the ability to change his mood from grumpy to soft and he didn't even know how. "You didn't do anything, either. And I'm sorry. I am. You can do what you want, I just got jealous that someone else was alone with you instead of me."

She placed her small hand on his large one, snuggling up to his hand that rested on her cheek, "why were you jealous?"

"I think you already know why."

"I want you to tell me why instead of making me guess," she whispers and he closes his eyes, controlling his heartbeat that was pumping dangerously quick against his chest. He opens his eyes and smiles down at her.

"Because I like you, Cassie. You already figured that out though, didn't you?"

She felt her shoulders relax. She was relieved that she hadn't assumed wrong, and it felt nice to hear him say it.

"Yeah. I guess I did," she says quietly, closing her eyes and thinking. He knew she was thinking because she purses her lips and her eyes felt distant as she concentrated on her thoughts.

She felt awful if she said she liked Brad back because she wasn't even one hundred percent certain herself, even though she had an aching feeling that she did, but she had basically rejected Connor earlier.

But whenever Brad touched her, she felt sparks run through her body and it wasn't just because he was warm. It felt like there was a connection between them both that even she couldn't deny.

"I don't get why you like me," she admits. "I'm like Winter: I'm cold and I'm lonely, my thoughts are always over the place and they make me feel like I can't breathe sometimes."

"You don't have to be lonely," he says, pulling her closer to him, not quite hugging her properly yet. "I'm here."

"That's the thing," she continues, brushing some of his hair out of his eyes as she looks up at him. "You're like the summer, a complete opposite of me. You're beautiful and when I got to know you, I knew that you were this warm, bright boy. You're like the moon that controls the storm inside my head."

"You know what they say, opposites attract," he smiles, rubbing her arms up and down and the sun peaks through the curtains. It was as though it was pouring down with rain moments ago.

She lets out a sigh, holding onto him for her own comfort. He didn't mind at all, he liked it that she was so close to him, which was strange because he usually hated the human touch.

"Cassie," he breathes out, rubbing his nose against hers and her skin flares up and she closes her eyes again. He smiles down at her. "My beautiful little Cassie."

"My life is a mess," she laughs half heartedly and Brad wraps his arms around her, tightly. "God—I'm a mess."

She opens her mouth to say something but the door opens, then. The two of them turn and see Connor stood in the doorway. He glances at how close Brad holds Cassandra and he feels his heart drop.

Cassandra moves out of Brad's arms, instantly feeling guilty and Brad drops his arms to his side, ripping his gaze from the girl in front of him to Connor who took a moment to take in what he just saw.

"Uh—Joe finished. He finished the blood extraction."

unedited.