thirty seven

❝get her back❞

❝get her back❞

She looks over to him with a worried glance. She didn't know what happened or why it happened but she knew that it wasn't a good sign.

"If it works we'll extract more bone marrow," Josh says. "As much as we need, and then she'll be pretty much half dead."

She gulps, another tear escaping her eye as she realises that's about her and she just wants to leave. She wants to scream and get all of her emotions out and she wants Brad to comfort her now, more than ever.

"How long will it take for us to know if it's worked?" Ethan asks. He was confident in himself that it was going to work and he was greedy for more power.

"I don't know, it's our first trial. But I would say not long," Josh says, but as though on cue, Ethan opens his palm and sees his skin is glowing orange.

"I would say it's successful," Ethan smirks down, fire swarming around his hand moments later and Cassandra gulps. That can't be a good sign. "I want you to extract more bone marrow from the girl and we'll distribute this to our people. That's an order."

Cassandra whimpers out again as she sees the drill in Josh's hand, and she realises that she's not going to be unconscious for this, she's going to be alive and awake and she clenches her eyes shut, wishing this was all a dream.

"Jesus Christ," Connor says as he sees Brad in pain on his bed. "Anyone tried pain killers?"

"Connor," James frowns. "Not the time for your jokes."

Connor rolls his eyes and sits down by James who had brought in a chair for the boys to all sit on while they try and help Brad with his pain.

"What's going on over there?" Tristan whispers out, his throat clenched. Connor shrugs, while the two boys turn to James.

"The people there are greedy," James says. "They want power, our power, and I think they've finally found a way to get it. Their leader, Ethan, always did experiments on me to find new ways—blood transfer and whatever—but it never worked."

"How could a human possible have our power?" Tristan scoffs. "Our bodies are designed to hold it, if they had it their body will slowly deteriorate or they'd die instantly. They'd bloody burn themselves to death or something."

"I tried to warn them but they didn't care."

"That's a good thing then," Connor says, grabbing an idea. "If they're giving all of them Cassandra's powers then they'll die out eventually. It's bad enough trying to have one power, never mind five. Then we can get her back."

Tristan glances over to Brad who was sweating as he tries to fight the pain before he looks back up to the two boys, nodding.

+