eighteen

❝setting you on fire❞

Connor eyed Brad and Cassandra suspiciously as he walked into the kitchen, seeing how they sat next to each other speaking about what they were going to do later that day.

Brad sensed Connor entering the room but didn't make it obvious as he listened to Cassandra tell him about the butterflies she loved that were out in the wilderness.

"—and they glow brighter and bluer and they're so pretty," she gushed and he smiles politely, before they both glance over to Connor who was sitting down cautiously at the table opposite them. "Hey, Con."

"Hey, Cassandra," he smiles over at the girl, ignoring the boy's polite smile being sent his way. "What are you doing today?"

"Brad, Dean and I are going to go to the woods again, try some fire," she replies. "I didn't manage to do any yesterday, so hopefully I will today."

"Be safe," he tells her. "Fire is dangerous and I don't want you getting hurt."

"I'll be fine."

"How about I come with you and Dean?" He asks, purposely leaving out Brad's name. "Maybe I can help you concentrate."

Brad snorts, "you'll end up distracting her."

"No I won't," Connor scoffs, sending a glare Brad's way. "I'll actually help her understand what she's meant to be doing."

"And I don't?"

"Clearly not if she can't produce a simple flame," Connor retorts, causing Brad to roll his eyes, and he opens his mouth to reply but he's cut short.

"Guys!" Cassandra scolds them both. "Stop acting like children and get over yourselves. Connor, thanks for your offer but you should stay at home and help Joe with the extracting from my blood with Tristan."

Connor nods sharply, sending a final glare over to Brad. Tristan joins shortly and they all eat their breakfast before Cassandra changes into some clothes Tristan had found for her before joining Brad downstairs.

"Where's Dean?" She asks, seeing Brad standing alone.

"He's gone home to get some stuff," Brad explains. "He's trusting us by ourselves out there, so stay close."

"Okay."

Cassandra was still nervous around Brad and still thought twice before saying something. Just because he apologised doesn't mean that he won't lash out on her again.

They walk out of the house, Cassandra bidding Connor a goodbye was still in the kitchen and Brad ignoring him.

There was still an expected tension in the house between the boys, despite Cassandra's efforts to get rid of it. She felt awful that they had fallen out and that she was part of the reason.