thirty six

❝too good for us❞

❝too good for us❞

Two weeks had passed by.

Brad had no clue how he was going to get Cassie back but he still had hope. He had to have hope, and he had to have Cassie. Himself and Connor hadn't spoken in the past two weeks, but Brad was cooped up in the attic with Joe as they tried to figure out a way to get Cassandra back.

"We have nothing to negotiate with," Brad slams his hand on the table, frustrated as he runs his hand through his hair. "This is so pointless."

"We'll find something, Brad," Joe reassures the boy. "We have time, remember? She's going to be fine: if James managed to stay alive for five years, Cassandra will last a bit longer. She's a strong girl."

Brad nods slowly, breathing out a heavy sigh. He knew she was going to be fine for the time being, but how long until she got hurt? It was different for James, he was a boy. She was a girl and the camp was surrounded by men that could try and take advantage of her.

His fists clench at the thought of someone being so intimate with Cassie without her consent, and he has to calm himself down as veins glow.

Cassandra had been worked hard, eating one meal a day before she slept for seven hours and training again. Every day she would be learning some new combat skill or improving her stamina.

Ethan had been called up to Josh early in the morning, and Ethan knew it was only destined to be good news.

Josh was a man in his mid twenties, a black beard that was trimmed to perfection and hair that spiked up slightly. He typed at his desk as he waited for his boss to turn up.

"I assume you've had an epiphany," Ethan says, sitting down on the chair with his legs crossed, hands together. "Otherwise you're wasting my time."

"I think I've found a way to make humans have the ability to control an element," Josh spoke. "I want to try it."

"Tell me more," Ethan tilts his head. "I'm listening."

"Their blood marrow," Josh says. "If I give you her blood marrow then you should be able to do it."

Josh slides over his research sheet and Ethan takes it, "what happens if it doesn't work?"

"It will work," Josh replies and Ethan nods slowly. "We can try whenever you're ready. It won't hurt you but it will hurt the girl."

"We best start now, then."

+

Brad ran a hand through his hair, tugging it into a man bun as he takes off his shirt. He had been training all morning and he needed a break otherwise he was going to overwork himself.

He slings his shirt over his shoulder before grabbing his water bottle and downing half of it, rubbing some sweat off of his forehead.

He disappears upstairs soon after, mumbling a quick high to Tristan who was helping Helen cook some food in the kitchen. He grabs a shower and changes into some trousers and a random button up before sitting on the edge of his bed with a sigh, rubbing his towel through his curls to dry them off.

He was fed up of waiting around for a good plan to spark up to get Cassandra back and it was starting to frustrate him because he should be home with Cassie, holding her and keeping her warm and taking her on trips out and spoiling her but she was stuck under someone else's captivity.

He opens his bedroom door, James in bed still trying to catch up on the sleep he's lost over the five years of being under captive.

Brad walks downstairs to get some food. He grabs a cookie from the cookie jar that she had labelled 'mine and brad's' before they had left to find James. He smiles at her messy handwriting before sighing and leaning against the kitchen counter.

"You best be eating properly," Helen says, surprising him. She was stood at the door by the pantry. "Haven't seen you eating the meals I save for you, and you don't eat with us either. It's not good for your health if you don't eat enough but you're exercising all the time."

Brad nods slowly.

"I'll cook you up something now," she smiles. "What do you want?"

"I don't mind," Brad smiles, moving to the table in the middle of the room so that he's out of Helen's way.

"You boys always make it easy for me, don't ya?" Helen mutters sarcastically, grabbing some food from the pantry. She begins making Brad some scrambled egg, beans, sausages and toast and Brad smiles gratefully at bee as she places it down in front of him before sitting opposite him to eat her own food.

"Thank you."

"It's fine," she says. "It's my job to feed you guys and keep this damn mansion clean."

They fall into a comfortable silence, eating their food and when they're done, neither of them make the effort to move.

"You wanna talk about what has you so upset?" Helen asks, giving him a sympathetic smile and he shrugs. "I'm gonna take that as a yes. What's got you down, Hun?"

He sighs, "there's a lot, I guess. Connor and I fell out and then I'm just tired all the time and I feel like part of me is missing and then I remember Cassie isn't here anymore."

"Cassie? That's the girl that helped find James, right?" Helen asks and Brad nods, a small smile on his face as he talks about Cassie. "She was a nice girl, probably too nice for you boys. I spoke to her sometimes when she was a bit sad because you were ignoring her or because you guys had fallen out and she felt the blame."

"She was too good for us," Brad nods, sighing and running his hands through his hair. "And I want to tell her that every day but I can't because she's gone and I don't know when I'm gonna get her back."

"Where did she go?"

"Connor traded her in for James," Brad clenches his fists under the table. "He could've found another way but he just gave her up."

"And that's. . . why you both fell out?" Helen asks, unsure but Brad nods. "He was thinking on his toes, didn't know what else he could do. You should talk to him and talk it out. Talk with your mouths, though, not your fists."

Brad chuckles at that, about to say something but he feels a sharp pain in his hip, as though something is drilling into him and he groans out in pain, clutching his side and within seconds Helen is shouting for the boys.

"Fuck," Brad says as Tristan helps him stand up off of the chair. "It's Cassie. She's in pain."

Another drill feeling erupts in his side and he groans out again. Cassandra was laying on a table, completely unconscious as Josh drills into her side, extracting her bone marrow.

As soon as he'd finished, he begins to give Ethan the bone marrow for himself. Cassandra wakes up soon, laying on the table next to Ethan's and she feels the pain in her side and lets out a small whimper.

She didn't remember how she'd gotten here but she knew she was in a lot of pain and she just wanted Brad back. She wanted to be with him, properly, she wanted to stay up all night cuddling and watching movies and talking about random things and they would train together and he'd let her win fights.

She tries to sit herself up but she's in too much pain. She can't possibly keep herself up. She wants to cry because it hurts so much and a tear slips from her eye.

She turns her head to see Ethan sat up from where he was laying, clenching his fist in front of him with a smirk on his face.

unedited.