thirty nine

❝freeze him to death❞

Brad frowns as the doorbell rings two days later, and he slowly gets off of the sofa to go and answer the door. The other three boys are walking downstairs to see who's at the door. Not many people knew that they lived here.

Brad opens the door, revealing Simon. Brad scowls at him, "What do you want?"

"I'm just doing my orders," Simon hands him four envelopes, each one had their names written with cursive handwriting.

"What are these?" Brad scoffs, handing each of his friends their respective envelopes.

"Invitations," Simon replies. "They're for a dinner Ethan is hosting tomorrow, I'd come if I were you."

Brad glances at the boys before back at Simon, "why?"

"Cassandra will be there," Simon replies and Brad was ready to leave for the dinner right then. "Look, the information is on the invite, but I recommend coming."

Simon turns on his heel and Brad watches him go to the Rolls Royce waiting for him before the front door is closed.

Brad looks down to the envelope, a red stamp sealing it shut but Brad opens it quickly, anxious to read the actual invite. The other four boys copy him, reading over the cursive writing.

To Whom it may Concern,

I'm writing to inform you that you've been invited to my masquerade ball that I'm hosting tomorrow night in honour of new found power.

If you wish to come, please wear appropriate, I hope to see you there. You'll know where to go.

Yours Truly,
Ethan.

Brad glances up at the boys, "we're going."

"What if it's a trap—?"

"I don't care," Brad interrupts Tristan. "We're going because like that guy said, Cassie is gonna be there. I have to see her, guys, I have to. And if we end up being kept captive, then at least we'll be there for Cassie."

"And there's always the possibility it's not a trap," Connor agrees. He needed to go and help get Cassandra back to clear his guilty conscious. "We can't risk not going, in case it's out only chance to get her back."

Brad nods in agreement, "so we're going tomorrow."

They all agree, Tristan unsure about it still. They get in the car and go out to buy some suits for the ball, meanwhile Cassandra was sat on her bed. Simon didn't come for training that day so she was stuck in her room.

A knock erupts from her door and she stands up, assuming it's Simon but Ethan walks through instead with an invite in his hand.

"Cassandra," he greets her. "Lovely to see you, it feels like it's been a while." He hands her the invite. "There's a masquerade ball tomorrow night, I'm hoping you'll be joining us?"