My Miracle

Nervous.

  That was the one word that would perfectly describe Ruru Madrid at the moment. He was pacing around the halls of a certain hospital in Quezon City. He ran his fingers through his hair and pulled on it.

   He doesn't know what happened or what they did wrong. They did the same thing when she was pregnant with their first. He doesn't understand. One moment they were just having a regular check up then, the doctor tells them the baby's heartbeat is becoming weaker by the moment.

   Dra. Lee told him that they'd have to induce labor by injecting inducers into her but if she doesn't go into labor in the specific time she gave, they'd have to do a c-section. Thankfully, she went into labor and is now giving birth but the baby was only eight months old and had a slow heartbeat.

   "She might not make it."

   He remembered the doctor saying. He stopped thinking it and started walking towards the chapel. He knelt on the first row hoping God would hear him better there. He prayed, that was the only thing he could do.

   "Lord, please. Please let her live. Let her be safe. If you do, I promise, I'm gonna treasure her with all my heart. I swear with all my heart. God, please, please, I need them. Let me have my little girl, please," he pleaded with tears streaming down his face, not caring if anyone saw him and thought he was weak. He was weak; he was the most vulnerable man on this world but, he had to be strong for his wife and for his baby girl.

   "God, please. I promise I'm gonna love her. I'm gonna take care of her and raise her with Your word. Lord, I need your assurance. I need you to assure me that you will let her live. Lord please," he continues to cry to God.

   "I promise, Daddy," he heard and sharply turned his head towards the voice. He saw a little boy raising his right hand at his father who messed up the boy's hair. He looked up and despite the ocean of tears that welled up in his eyes, he smiled and mustered a 'thank you.'

   He ran back to where he was a while ago, just outside the delivery room. He stood still and felt a certain calm in his heart. Then, the doctor walked out of the delivery room.

   "Doc, how are they?" he asks feeling worried again.

   "Your wife is alright now, she just needs to rest. We moved her into the private room already," she replies.

   "What about the baby? Kumusta na po ang baby namin?"

   "She needs to be incubated for close monitoring because, as we know, she is prematurely born. She's now stable but, we can not be sure, Mr. Madrid. Tatapatin po kita, she might not make it if she doesn't fight but, we will do everything," she informed causing the worry and anxiety to crawl back to his heart.

   He slowly opened the door of the private room and saw his wife sleeping with a frown on her face. This wasn't the scene he expected when his daughter would be born. He imagined a tired but ecstatic Kylie holding their baby girl. He would caress her sweet little face and she would hold onto his fingers. They'd shed a tear of joy or two and Amir would be bouncing in joy to finally meet his sister. But, that wasn't the case.

   Their little sweetheart was born a month early. Amir couldn't come to the hospital just yet due to the disappointment they were afraid to put on his precious little soul. How were they supposed to explain this to a five year old? What would they say to not break his heart?

   "Love," Ruru heard her speak through a groggy and sort of soar voice. He immediately held her hand and kissed it.

   "I'm right here, my love. I'm right here," he says caressing her hand.

   "Where's the baby? Where is she, Love? Did she make it?" she asks worriedly with tears already brimming in her eyes.

   "Shh, it's okay. She's okay. The doctor said she had to be incubated and she's stable now but," he comforted but could no longer continue due to the lump that formed in his throat. He realized what he was about to say and his eyes turned glossy too.

   "But what, Love? What did they say?" she asks pressing on his hand gently.

   "She might... She might not make it," he croaked and tears started flowing straight out of both their eyes

   "No, no. Oh God, why? She has to fight. She has to," she sobs as Ruru stood up to caress her face.

   "She will fight. She's a fighter just like you. Everything will be okay, Baby. Everything will be fine, you understand?" he tries comforting her and kissed her on the forehead. He seemed so strong but, the reality is that he was so weak, so so weak. But he had to stay strong for Kylie, for their baby.

   She nodded and continued to sob. Ruru turned his head towards the door and found their family slowly walking inside, Amir on Rere's arms.

   "Kuya, sorry. Mapilit kase, gusto niya daw makita ang kapatid niya," she said apologizing to her brother while handing the boy to his father.

   "Anak, kumusta ka na?" Robin asks walking to stand beside Kylie. When he did, he ran his fingers through her hair.

   "Okay naman po, Pa," she managed to plaster a smile on her face.

   "Mama, where's my sister?" the young Amir asks innocently and when her mother didn't reply, he turned to his father, "Baba, where is she?"

   "Anak, you're sister was born slightly early. So, they have to keep her in a box so she can grow a little more," he tries to explain in a way he would understand.

   "Huh? Can she breathe in the box, Baba?" he asks with his head tilted sideways.

   "She can baby, she can," he breathed trying to keep the tears at bay.

   "Why in a box? She can grow naman without a box eh. She just has to eat her veggies like me, right Mama?" Amir said turning his head to his mother.

   "Baby, they have to keep her in a special box kase she gets sick easily. So, sineseperate siya sa atin baka kase may germs sa air dito tapos she'll get sick," she explains smiling sadly at her two boys.

   That year, Kylie and Ruru spent Christmas in the hospital. Their baby girl was born in December, but she was supposed to be born on January. They spent New Year there too. Then after a month, their baby girl was ready to leave and go home. They were ecstatic when they stepped into their home and saw a little banner with Amir's handwriting that said, "Welcome Home Baby Noelle and Mama and Baba!"

   That night, Ruru couldn't let go of their little darling. He was just so thankful she survived. There were five premature babies in the hospital that time and, she was the only one who survived.

   "Love, put her in the co-sleeper na. I'm sure you're tired and she is too," Kylie says trying again to let him put her down.

  "Later na, Love. She's so beautiful. She looks just like you," he said looking into the baby's face.

   "She is. And she's a fighter too."

   "She's Daddy's little action princess just like you," he said smiling at her. For a while, they just sat like that, staring at their little princess sleeping.

   "Mahal," Ruru said but realized Kylie already fell asleep on his shoulders. He chuckled at her and kissed her forehead.

   "I love you, my little angel. You're the most lovely baby girl I've ever seen," he said and touched her cheeks. He hummed her the tune of 'Angels Brought Me Here' then, the infant held the finger that was by her hand causing him to stop humming.

   "I'll be here, darling. Don't you worry. Baba's gonna be here for you always. You're my heart that's beating out of my body, my Noelle Amariah, my miracle."

——————
Noelle refers to Christmas and she was born on December.

Amariah means 'God promised' and remember the scene where Ruru was asking God for assurance and a little boy said, "I promise, Daddy"?

  And for those who are voting and are waiting for my every update, thank you so much! You guys make my heart so full, loves.

   Commemt and Vote.