Baba's Boy

Ever since her pregnancy started, Kylie noticed that her husband got clingier by the day. It all started with random kisses on her belly. Then, he'd whisper things to their son that, apparently, she wasn't supposed to hear. Next, the eagerness to come home. It melted Kylie's heart that her two boys already loved each other before they met, but sometimes it gets a little impractical. Like now for an instance, he doesn't wanna go to work.

"Love, you have to," Kylie stood her ground. She sat on the couch with her eight months old belly in front of her and Ruru's face gently pressed against it.

"I don't want to," he pouted. "Anak, tell Mama you want Baba to stay here."

"Love, I'm sure the baby understands if Baba goes to work because it's for him din naman," she smiled at him, running her fingers through his hair.

"Ayokong iwan siya, kayo," he stated dramatically and kissed her bump. "I mean, what if pag-laki niya, magagalit siya sa akin dahil I left you guys for work?"

"Ru, huwag kang OA- aray!" she winced as the baby kicked hard against her womb.

"Don't call me OA daw kase."

"It's just for a few hours naman eh. You'll be back really fast," Kylie reasoned, hoping to convince him because even as early as now, when her boys worked together, it was so hard to resist.

He only looked at her with whale eyes.

"Ganito nalang. The sooner you go, the sooner you'll be able to get back, diba? Diba, Anak?"

Ruru sighed in defeat, "Okay, fine."

"That's my boy!"

He zoned out for a bit to a universe where only him and his baby existed. "Anak, aalis muna si Baba, ha? Work muna si Baba. You understand naman, diba? Ginigawa ko lang naman to para sa iyo at kay Mama, para pag-labas mo may toys ka tsaka books and food and everything you'll want and need. Ayoko naman talaga umalis, Baby, pero kailangan pero promise ko, babalik ako kaagad, ha? Babalik ang Baba kaagad, mabilis lang ako. I love you," he kissed her belly in between sentences.

Then, he felt movement and there was a little bump against his lips for a split second before the movement stopped.

"Our son just leaned in to your kiss," Kylie grinned.

"I know," he whispered with eyes as wide as saucers, "Isn't that just amazing?"

"It is, Love."

"Bye, Amir. Baba has to go now. I love you, Son," he whispered like he was afraid his voice would scare the baby.

"Bye, Baba," Kylie replied as he kissed her good bye.
-
Never did Ruru ever think that he could fall in love this deeply with someone he just met three days ago. He never thought he would fall in love so quickly with a guy so small, but it happened. It happened. He is so in love with this tiny living thing he calls his son.

Ruru crouched into his son's crib and placed support where it was needed. He then lifted the baby and carried him. There was nothing wrong, the baby wasn't crying, he just really wanted to hold his son in his arms.

"Holding you in my arms feels like holding a miracle, Baby," he said, slowly sitting on the rocking chair.

He couldn't help but marvel at this little miracle of life that has proven to him just how great the wonders of this universe really are. His heart turned into goo at the mere sight of Amir.

"Hey, little man," he whispered as he brushed the back of his hand against Amir's cheek, "You could use some man-to-man talk after all those months in Mama's body, huh?"