Chapter 3

Chapter 3  

"She is beautiful." I said as I went to put my hand on her, but pulled it back. "Don't worry she doesn't get scared. One time I fell off and she just looked at me like 'what are you doing?'" "Ha really? That's amazing." "Come on." he said as he got on the horse and extend his arm to me. I grabbed it and climbed on. "Where are we going?" I asked. "To the barn. Hyah!" he said as the horse neighed and galloped toward the building and I grabbed a hold of Alex. As the barn came into sight I realized there was 5 people inside. "Whoa Nancy!" Alex said as Nancy stopped, he got off, and helped me down. "Hey everyone." Alex said as he walked toward the people in the barn. I stayed exactly where I was. I didn't know those people so there was no way I was going over there. "Come on." Alex said and I shook my head no. Then he came back to where I was and said,"They are not gonna bite, you know." "I don't know these people so I'm staying here with Nancy." Alex nodded ok then he threw me over his shoulder and started walking to the barn as I said "Put me down! Alex!" And he just laughed as he finally put me down and I was standing there in front of those people. "Hey there sugar pie." an older man said. "Hi." I said and looked over at Alex. "I'm your grandpa and this is your grandma." The man said as he put his hands on the woman standing to his left. "Oh ok Hey!" I said and they laughed. "This is Jamie." Alex said as he put his hand on a dude that looked about 19 or so. He had blonde hair almost brown, and was wearing blue jeans, cowboy boots, and a plaid blue t-shirt. "Howdy sis." he said. "Hey." "This is our cousin Luke and his sister Elizabeth, but everyone calls her Lizzie." "Hey cuz how's it going?" Luke said. He had to be at least 17 or 18. He was wearing shorts and a plain gray tee. His sister Lizzie looked to be my age and was wearing shorts and a blue tee with hearts on it. "Hi an so far so good." I said. "Well that's good." "Ha I reckon so." He laughed. "It's nice to finally meet you guys after all these years." "Same to ya sweet pea." My mamaw said. "Oh hey Whit I think Alex forgot to tell you about the tradition we do for all the newcomers." Jamie said as he looked at Alex and he said, "Oh yea can't forget the tradition." "What tradition?" I asked. Then the next thing I knew was that Jamie was carrying me on his shoulder and I was being thrown into a lake. "Ahh!" I screamed as I hit the water. And my brothers started laughing. "You're next!" I said as I climbed out of the lake and ran after them. "You can't catch me! I ran track for 2 years!" Alex shouted as he ran from me. "So did I only I did it for 3 years, played softball and basketball!" I replied as I caught up with him then I grabbed his arm and pulled him toward the lake. Then I pushed him into the lake. "Victory!" I shouted as Jamie jogged back over to where I was and laughed. Then Alex held his hand out an Jamie took it. Then Alex pulled Jamie into the lake with him and I fell out laughing. "You're gonna get it Alex!" Jamie yelled as he chased him around the yard. "Ok you two that's enough." Papaw said as he shook his head. "Hey grandma can we grill tonight and have a bonfire?" Lizzie asked. "Of course dear." "Would you like me to help?" I asked them. "Sure." Lizzie said and mamaw smiled. "Oh hey if y'all don't mind, can I take a picture of everyone as a group?" "Sure thing sugar pie." papaw said as I went to get my camera. When I got back everyone was gathered around. I took the picture and said, "Thanks guys." Then Alex said,"Hold up. You're a part of this family too, come on be in it." "Now I agree with Alex!" Jamie said and everyone agreed. "Ok." I said as I put the camera on self timer and went to join them. "Stand by us." Jamie said as he grabbed my arm and pulled me in between him and Alex. Then the flash went off. "Let me see!" Alex said as he ran to the camera and Jamie ran after him. I went over and Alex said,"How do you work this thing?" I laughed and showed him how to look at the pictures and he said,"Oh ok awesome!" I laughed and said,"Oh Alex." "Ohhh! Look at this! Whit has a boyfriend!" 

Alex shouted as he showed me the picture of Andrew. "He is not my boyfriend! He is just a friend." I said as I tried to get my camera back but Alex put it out of my reach. "Alex! Hand it here!" I said as I continued to try to get it. "Sorry sis. Ya snooze ya lose." "I didn't snooze!" I said and he busted out laughing and handed me my camera back. Then I went inside with mamaw and Lizzie to help prepare the food. I went to my new room and changed clothes considering I was still wet from being thrown in the lake. After I changed clothes I went outside to join the rest of the family. Papaw, Jamie, Alex, and Luke were lighting up the grill and just having a good time. After I got finished eating Alex came behind me and said, "Come with me. I wanna show you something." Curious about what he was going to show me I got up and went with him around the barn. "You're not gonna throw me into any more lakes are you?" I asked him. "Haha no." As he continued to drag me with him. He finally stopped and said,"Look." He pointed to a door. "Follow me." He said as he slipped through the door and I followed close behind him. "Where are we going?" I asked him. "You'll see." he replied and I could tell he was smiling. We went up some stairs then through another door then finally he came to a stop. "This is it?" I asked him. "Haha no not yet. Do you trust me?" he said. "I don't know." "Look just close your eyes and we will be there." "Ok now I'm afraid." "Don't be." he said. Without thinking I closed my eyes like he said. Then he put one hand around my waist and used his other hand to open the door. "Ok there is a step dead ahead of you. Step up." I stepped up and like he said there was a step. Then I heard a door open and Alex said, "Ok just walk straight until I say to stop." "Ok." I went 4 steps forward and he said,"Ok stop. Open your eyes." I opened my eyes and I was on top of the barn! "I can see the whole house from up here!" Alex laughed and said,"I use to come up here all the time, especially at night. That way I could lay down and look up at the stars. You're the only one besides me who has ever been up here." "Wow really?" "Yep." "Why?" "Why what?" "Why am I the only one who has ever been up here besides you?" "I don't know, I just I guess I just wanted to share it with you." "Aw I feel special." I said and he laughed.