Chapter 4

It's beautiful." I said as I gazed at the sun setting over the horizon. "Yea." he said. Then we both heard a loud creak and a groan. "What was that?" I asked. "I don't know, but it sounds like it came from the barn." Then we heard another creak. Then as I start to move toward Alex the boards underneath me clasp. "Ahhhh!" I yelled as Alex grabbed my hand before I fell 60 feet above the barn. "Help me please!" I cried. "Don't worry I won't let you go I promise." Alex said as he pulled me up. As I got back on the roof Alex grabbed me into a tight hug and said,"Oh thank god. Are you ok?" I shook my head yea and hugged him back. "Why don't we get outta here before we get caught." "You don't gotta tell me twice." I said as I got up and he laughed. After we got back on the safe ground Jamie was waiting for us. "Hey Whit, I almost forgot to tell you but we also have a another tradition." "Aw man!" I said as I took a couple steps back and he laughed. "No not the lake. Horseback riding. We go at night, it's better than going in the day." "Oh ok, but I don't know how to ride a horse." "Oh well don't worry it's easy. We will show you. Here you can have Nancy."  

After 30 minutes of practicing on Nancy we went horseback riding for 3 hours. When we got back home it was after midnight and I was tired. After I put Nancy up I went inside and took a shower. After I got a shower I realized that there was sheets already on my bed for me. I guessed my mamaw had put them on for me. As I laid in my new bed I thought back to the beginning of this morning. I was depressed and didn't want to move. Now here I am laying in a bed knowing that when I woke up I would go downstairs and expect to see my grandma but find someone else there. I cried at the thought. Then about 30 minutes later my door opened and there Jamie was. I looked at him and cried even more. "Hey. It's ok." he said as he sat on the edge of my bed and gave me a hug. "What's wrong?" he asked. I shook my head no. And he said,"Thinking of your grandma?" and I nodded yes. Then he pulled back the covers and laid down next to me. I held on to him. I don't know why I did considering I still didn't know him very well, but I just needed a hug. He said "It's gonna be ok." then he started to sing "I won't let go" by Rascal Flatts. After a few minutes I fell asleep.  

The next morning when I woke up, he was gone. I figured after I was asleep around 2 am or so he went to his room. Back home, when I had a nightmare or whatever my grandma would sit by my bed and sing a lullaby or tell me a story until I went to sleep, but she hadn't done that in years. I got up and got dressed then I went downstairs to help with breakfast. "Good morning sweet pea." Papaw said as I came down. He was sittin down at the table reading the newspaper while mamaw fixed grits,eggs, bacon, homemade biscuits,and sausage. "Anything new?" I asked papaw and he just looked at me like I had spoken Spanish or something. Then he smiled and said, "After all these years you are the only one to ask me that." "Really?" "Yes ma'am. The only thing interesting in here is that they are having a sale at this flea market just a couple miles from here." "Oh ok cool." I said as Alex and Jamie came downstairs in their boxer pants. "Good morning." Alex yawned as he scratched his stomach. "What's new?" Jamie asked. I couldn't resist as I said,"Apparently there is a market that sells fleas." Then everyone stopped what they was doing and papaw laughed. Then I said ," There's a sale down at the flea market a couple miles from here." Then everyone busted out laughing. As we sat down for breakfast, Lizzie and Luke came down to join us. "Good morning." they said as they took their seats. "So Whit, you wanna go to the flea market with us?" Alex asked. "Um sure, but I still have to finish unpacking." "Oh there will be plenty of time for that , go have fun with your brothers." papaw said. "Yes sir." I said as I finished eating breakfast. Then I helped cleaned up the kitchen. "Oh thank you sweetie." mamaw said as we wash and dried the dishes. "Looks like you better go get ready for the flea market." my mamaw said as she handed me $20. "But." "No buts take it." I knew there was no changing her mind, so I took it and went upstairs to grabbed my purse. After I finally found my purse I went outside where Alex and Jamie were waiting. "Sorry I couldn't find my purse." I said as we walked toward the truck. "That's fine." Jamie said. "Oh hey you wanna ride the horses down to the flea market?" Alex asked. "Sure." Jamie said as we went and got our horses. "Oh hey wait" Alex said,"if you wanna ride like a southern girl best to put your cowgirl hat on." "But I don't have one." "That's fine, you can borrow Lizzie's." He said as he got Lizzie's hat and put it on my head. As we galloped toward the flea market, I noticed that there was a cow walking. Then it fell and didn't get back up. "Hyah!" I yelled as I pulled Nancy's reins to tell her to go toward the cow. The only thing that was standing in our way was the fence. As I was looking for a way in, Nancy starts galloping and jumps over the fence. Stunned by what just happened we head toward the cow. As I got off Nancy I realized she was giving birth. Not knowing what to do I told her to keep breathing and to push. "Whit!" Alex yelled as he and Jamie jumped over the fence and ran toward me. When they got there I said,"She's giving birth." Immediately Alex and Jamie took action. After an hour in labor, she has giving birth to a healthy young calf. I named him Todd and his mom Abbigail. Then we went back to the house to get cleaned. When we walked in papaw said,"Back so soon?" "Ms. Abbigail gave birth to her young, Todd." He looked confused then Alex said," There was a cow in the field giving birth. And Whit names the mom Abbigail and her calf Todd." Papaw laughed and said "Well anit that something." I smiled and went upstairs to get cleaned up.