Chapter 10

Chapter 10

It’s like when a baby bird first takes flight, it doesn't know whether it will last in the air, but it does it anyway. It takes a risk, but a risk that would change its life forever. For me, that was Christian. He could change my whole life ahead of me, whether it be love or heartbreak, he could change it. If I took him in as a lover, Jake would have father figure in his life as well. I wasn't the only one benefiting from this, but of course, I was thinking way too far as I walked with Christian back to the car, my hand enveloped in his. It’s funny how fast your life can change.

I flicked my eyes up to his. He must have felt my gaze because he looked down to mine, so I looked away.

“Everything okay?” He asked with a slight chuckle as we crossed the road. I nodded.

“Yeah, just thinking.” I replied and he raised an eyebrow at me as he unlocked the car with the keys. I let go of his hand and went around to the passenger seat as he did to the driver’s seat.   

“What are you thinking about?” He asked curiously as we bucked ourselves in.

“The future…” I replied, not know what his reaction would be.

“Ah, the mystery of the future.” He said in a posh voice making me laugh. We drove back to his apartment, stopping at the shops to get some groceries. As we walked through the aisles I couldn't help but think that this was where Tim asked me out...

“Pfft, loser.” I mumbled under my breath as I got the milk out from one of the store fridges. A man beside me with a grumpy looking face turned to me with a frown and my eyes widened.

“Excuse me?” He asked, the staleness valid in his voice.

“No sorry, I didn’t mean you! I was thinking out loud…” I said and he raised an eyebrow. “…about someone else.” I added and almost confirming he was a grumpy goblin, he stormed off just as Christian came up behind me, placing a hand on my back. I chuckled and Christian smiled.

“What’s his problem?” He mumbled as he leant over and placed 5 bags of popcorn, two bags of lollies and 2 packets of chips into the trolley, clearly for the movie night tonight. My eyes widened.

“Wow! If there’s any leftovers, you know where to find me!” I exclaimed making him laugh. A smile grew on my face. I loved making people laugh, especially Christian, I loved his laugh.

That afternoon, it began raining again. We stayed inside, sitting on the lounge room couch watching YouTube videos. I had rung mum to make sure she was taking care of Jake seeing as I was gone for the day and evening. She was always one to forget, but seeing as it was Jake, I didn’t think she would forget about him because she smothered him in her love.

We were sitting at Christian’s couch watching a video when a girl with beautifully curly blonde hair walked in. I pulled out my headphone and gave her a smile. She was probably one of the people who worked for the youth group. She turned around after gently shutting the door and jumped slightly at the sight of us. I nudged Christian as he was still watching the video and he looked up, a smile on his face at the sight of her.

“Hey Christian,” She said walking over to him and placing her hands on his shoulders. I felt a jealous frown coming but I pushed it away. Something reminded me of when I saw Tim with that girl… “I was just making sure you bought the food for tonight?”

“Well yes, I’m not an idiot now am I?” Christian replied. I nudged him to tell me who she was.

“Just checking.” She said before walking around and leaning on the couch arm.