Task One: Unity

Talent perceives differences; genius, unity.

-William Butler Yeats

Sakura Sato took a deep, calming breath, carefully modulated her tone, and reminded herself of the many reasons it would be wrong to set her current annoyance on fire.

"I'm sorry," she said with the sweetest tone she could manage. "I'm afraid I don't quite follow your reasoning. Why precisely do you doubt my personnel selection for Project Phoenix?"

The unctuous little man in front of her adjusted his glasses and gave her a smile which was just shy of a smirk. "Well, Miss Sato, I'm sure you can imagine how seriously the Department of Defense takes your squad of...heroes." The word was given just enough stress to indicate that he intended a rather less complimentary term. "Since you were so kind enough to send us your files on each of them for our records, we naturally examined them quite closely. Some of them we found worthy additions to your team. A few of the others were a bit more concerning."

Hey Cherry, I'll bet you twenty bucks he's talking about the lesbian with magic lipstick, Tifanos exclaimed cheerfully, her mental voice reverberating inside Sakura's head. That, or maybe the ginger doormat.

AS USUAL, THE DEMON SPEAKS OF THINGS IT HAS NO HOPE OF UNDERSTANDING. THE TINY HUMAN CLEARLY RESENTS THE INCLUSION OF THE DRUNKARD. ALSO, TIFANOS LACKS MONETARY RESOURCES TO SUBSTANTIATE THE BET, AS THEIR ACQUISITION MIGHT REQUIRE SOME FORM OF EFFORT OR PRODUCTIVE LABOR.

Zachariel's words were loud enough to be nearly deafening; Sakura blinked but maintained her politely neutral expression. "And so here you are, hoping to extract some justification from me about my choices. It's only fair, after all."

"I'm so glad you understand." The oil in the man's tone thinned Sakura's smile.

"How could I not understand?" Sakura added with a gentle sigh, leaning away from her desk and back into her chair. "Goodness, I only have eight years' experience in this business, regardless of the ageless beings of knowledge and power advising me. Surely I wouldn't presume to ignore the wisdom of the Department of Defense, who no doubt has far more in-depth, hands-on information about the operation of a team of superhumans and elite agents."

The smile on the man's face abruptly turned sour.

SAKURA SATO, I DO NOT FOLLOW YOUR REASONING. I HAVE PERFECT RECOLLECTION AND THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE HAS NEVER OPERATED A TEAM COMPOSED OF SUPERHEROES. I THINK YOU OUGHT TO CORRECT THIS ERROR TO AVOID CONFUSING THE TINY HUMAN.

I wonder how it's possible for so many things to go over your head when you're on that huge high horse of yours.

"No doubt that's why they sent you, mister..." She glanced at him and frowned ever so slightly, eyes widened with innocence. "I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't recognize you, or even the team you managed. Would you mind reminding me of their names?"

That was a whole new level of passive-aggressive put-down. I'm honestly impressed.

"Miss Sato-" the man began testily. Sakura decided she had had enough. 

"Ms. Sato is the name I use with my business," she informed him, sweet smile never budging an inch even as she allowed the barest hint of power to leak out. To the man in front of her, it must have felt like standing in front of an open kiln. "With regards to Project Phoenix, it would be far more correct to address me as the Empress. It's so important to preserve protocol, wouldn't you say?"

The man took a while to respond. When he did, the false courtesy had utterly vanished from his tone. "I- Yes. Of course, Empress."

"Wonderful. Now, I'm so glad you brought your concerns to me, but I'm sure some of these issues would be resolved if you simply spoke to some of the heroes I selected. Though they may be a bit unconventional, I think their dedication and variety are something to treasure in these changing times. I'm sure they'll treat your questions regarding their...qualifications with all the dignity and eloquence they are due. Shall I show you to their quarters?"

The man all but scrambled to his feet. "I don't know if that'll be necessary. Thank you for your time.  I ought to get back to my supervisors- they'll be looking forward to hearing your reply."

He all but scurried out of the room. Sakura maintained her smile, though this time it was significantly more genuine.

"Have a good day!" She called brightly as the door closed shut with a thud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Requirements

-I'm giving you all a lot of leeway here in the interpretation of this task. Be sure to take advantage of it for character building!

-I want you to tell me why your character joined Project Phoenix. Note: this is not necessarily the story of when or where they joined.

-Be creative and aim to impress! Sponsorships will be awarded based on the results of this task.

Kills: Two ballot kills, to be awarded to whomever you choose. They will determine the challenge for next round.

Deadline: Saturday, October 7th at 10 PM EST