III - That Old Thang

Chapter Three

Trevante

"Never thought I would see the day when I would have to pray to God to hold me down," Lecrae's lyrics sang through my car and I bobbed my head to the beat and getting caught into the lyrics that he spits so perfectly.

I pulled down the visor looking in the mirror and looked at myself fixing my beard and taking my ponytail apart letting my hair hang as strands fell in front of my face. I was in need of a lineup and a small trim on my beard but I couldn't lie I still looked good.

"I swear these people fake, I swear they full of hate. I swear to tell the truth till I'm in the grave." Lecrae rapped as now I fully agreed with this quote more than anything else.

My mom tried her hardest to mold me into something that I was not. She wanted me to learn the Bible inside out and become a youth pastor into a regular pastor. Be a part of every living thing in the community from cleanups to board meetings. Even in school, she wanted me to be in scholastic clubs rather than sports. I honestly felt like she didn't want me to be a teen. Mostly in the church I realized after researching that the holy bible wasn't the one we were supposed to be reading. It was made to make people, black people, look like we were animals. There was a Bible specifically made for black people which were told that white people were superior. I didn't want to learn all that. After telling my mom the hardcore truth about it, she was upset. Upset enough to kick me out at sixteen, she didn't care that I was on the streets. She went to as far as telling my own family to not even take me in and make me learn my lesson. I guess ten years later I was still learning my lesson. It didn't stop me from seeing my little sister and brother but I felt like I was distanced from them, I hate to attend their events sitting far away from my own family. But that didn't stop them from seeing me up front and center.

During that time of getting kicked out, I was introduced to Ray but others called him Raymond. He was someone that people hated him but couldn't help but to respect him. He literally raised me and taught me about everything more than my own father. He taught me about being spiritually woken. Ray was a Christian but he read the Bible differently, reading in between the lines like we are supposed to and just prayed to God who spiritually guided him in his life. I can say he became highly successful and humble even though it was a hard and dangerous job. It was nothing that he couldn't do because he believed in himself more than others who would've straight given up.

I looked at the off-white colored house taking a deep breath and holding the piece of paper with the address that was given to me by an anonymous tip after leaving my parents house last night.

I opened the car door and stepped out the car and closed the door hearing my BMW chirp and the doors locked.

I started to walk down the rocky walkway putting my hands together mostly nervous because the last time me and her met, it ended up with her almost calling the damn police on me. It nearly got physical but I promised myself not to go overboard like last time.

I heard the door squeak open and then the screen door flying open and saw her charging towards me.

"No...No...Hell no!" She said coming straight at me making me sigh and stop. "Why you here?" She questioned and I looked at her stupidly but at the same time amazed at her.

She was a smart female but made of fucked up decisions in her past that she barely wanted to acknowledge. She was way more responsible than the other single mommas out there who usually dropped their kids off every damn day to their momma's house. She was never liked that, she took care of her kids 100%. While we were dating I accepted her for who she was. She was beautiful from the soft brown glowing skin, the natural hair she barely showed under all that damn Brazilian and her personality which was so laid back I felt like I had a homie sometimes. Even with kids, I didn't have a problem, but she was still stuck on her on and off and in and out jail baby daddy/boyfriend whose name I didn't even want to mention.