Chapter 5

*****MR. GREY'S POV*****

There was something different about her. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. That morning when I saw her sitting all alone in the hallway, I just had to at least offer her some help. She didn't deserve to look so vulnerable. Not that anyone was even at school but she seemed so lonely and sad. I never expected for things to go that far but she and I both wanted it. 

When she came into my room the next day with the black eye, my heart sank. I couldn't bear seeing her hurt. The fact that someone had laid a hand on her made my blood boil. Whoever did that to her deserved so much suffering and pain, I would have no trouble delivering it. 

~~~~~~~

"Morning Mr. Grey." I looked up from my papers and saw Danni standing there at the doorway. It was 7:05 in the morning. 

"It's Lucas," I smirked. 

"We're in school, Mr. Grey." She smirked back. Damn, she's such a smartass and I love it. 

"Let's change the rules, when no one else is around, call me Lucas." She couldn't think of a good comeback and I loved seeing her try. 

"Got me there, Lucas." She smiled and came over to my desk and sat down at an empty seat. "Mind if I do my homework?" 

"Go right ahead, and finish it this time. I think people might be catching on that I haven't said anything about your incomplete assignments." I tried making my voice more serious. She nodded.

"Yes, sir." She smirked again then got to work. What am I going to do with her?

~~~~~~~~~~

The third-period bell rang and I suddenly got more energized. It was fourth-period.  Danni's class. I put away the other class' homework assignments that I had collected and waited patiently for all the students to arrive. Danni was one of the first ones, of course. She never met my eyes when she walked in but I didn't make much note of it. Not long later Aaron walked in and sat next to her. My heart started beating faster. Am I really jealous of one of my students? I need to get it together.

"Okay everyone, I am collecting homework 19 so have it out and ready for me to collect." My gaze never left Danni as I watched her take out her assignment. Thankfully, she completed it so I wouldn't have to say anything. Not that I would anyways. I collected all the papers and started the lesson. 

Towards the end of the class, I let everyone start their homework. I sat at my desk and noticed Danni and Aaron swapping notes. I couldn't make out what the notes said but they kept giggling with each note. I looked up at the clock, seven minutes left. I could hardly stand watching Danni and Aaron laughing together. 

"Alright guys so since everyone was very attentive today during class, I'll let you out early today. Have a good rest of your day and go to lunch." I looked directly towards Danni and bit my lip. She was packing up her bags while Aaron was waiting for her. "Danni, can I see you for a minute?" What was that? What am I going to say? She signaled Aaron to leave and then it was just us two. Again. Alone. 

"Everything alright, Lucas?" Her tone was a little concerned. I scanned her facial expression, her eye was looking much better, but still noticeable. 

"Is everything okay? At home?" Oh god. Not the place, not the time. Why did I have to ask that? I saw that that question had hit a nerve. 

"Yeah, everything's fine. Is that all?" It should have been.

"How has your dad been?" It was then that I had pieced everything together. The night I dropped her off was the night that she had gotten the black eye. It must have been her dad. She seemed surprised that he was home, more than a normal teenage girl would have been. 

"He's fine. Working late a lot, haven't seen him much." Okay, end the conversation now Lucas. 

"Gotcha." I paused. "Go ahead to lunch." I bit my lip. 

"See you tomorrow morning, Lucas." She smiled and left. Holy hell she was amazing.