Chapter 36

***DANNI'S POV***

My stomach had been hurting all week, Lucas suggested-casually-that I take a day off but I was so close to graduation that I didn't want to miss any work. The only time the pain was unbearable was when I was using my abs to either get out of bed or even pick up my two-ton backpack. Aaron was the only one that saw Lucas that day and we agreed to keep our mouths shut.

Peter sincerely apologized about the incident and I accepted it. I wasn't mad at him for what he did even though it could have been easily avoidable. I described to Aaron and Peter what the guy looked like that tried to rape me but their guess was as good as mine as to who he was. They apparently made friends while partying and don't remember half their names.

Aaron, Lucas, and I always made awkward eye contact at each other during class. Sometimes I catch Lucas and Aaron exchanging glances but for the most part it's Lucas making sure I'm feeling okay by giving me a small, almost undetectable, nod.

I hired a few more employees for the library and eventually handed it off to one of Mrs. Rose's nieces. It was too much for me to organize with finals coming up and getting prepared for college. I still got income from it since Mrs. Rose gave me partial ownership of the place, so that gave me enough money for groceries every week and brought me closer to the amount needed for a car of my own. Lucas thought it would be fun for me to get a Jeep just like his but I've always wanted a newer generation of my father's GMC.

Speaking of my father, I hadn't seen him in a long time. It's been almost four months, the longest I've gone without having any sort of contact with him. Part of me wanted him to be dead in a ditch somewhere but a small sliver was concerned for his well being.

~~~~~

"I still can't get over the fact that Lucas Grey was in the poconos the same time we were, and with everything that happened! Talk about timing!" Aaron was talking to me as we were walking to the cafeteria table with our lunch trays. It's already been a month after spring break and he still hasn't stopped talking about it.

"Still can't believe it either." I faked being interested. I sat between Aaron and Peter who both got the macaroni and cheese. "That looks disgusting" I wrinkled my nose as I stabbed the lettuce of my salad with my fork.

"Gosh, Danni." Peter stared, "We can't all be such health gurus like you." He said sarcastically and I just rolled my eyes. I heard someone laugh in the background and I could already recognize the owner.

"Oh my gosh, hey guys!"

Sasha Barrett practically screamed. She gave Peter a hug and kiss then sat down across from us. Her blonde curls bounced up and down as she plopped into the seat.

"Hey, Sasha." I tried to be enthusiastic. Aaron and I both hate her but as far as she and Peter know, she's our best friend.

"So, Danni. We haven't talked in for-ev-er!" Her voice reminded me of Janice from Friends. "What have you been up to?" She put her elbow on the table and rested her head in her palm, as if she was so interested as to what I've been doing in my free time.

"Not much, just getting ready for finals." I wanted to show off that I was more studious than her. Finals weren't for another three months and I was almost certain that Sasha hasn't studied for one exam in her life.

"Dude, I'm so stressed out for calc." Peter lied. I knew he was just trying to make Sasha feel better. He was excellent at math, almost as good as I. He nodded at me slightly to make me play along.

"Yeah, same. I don't remember anything we've learned this year." I had to admit, I was a pretty good actor. At least Sasha believed me...

"Me neither! I swear to god, Mr. Grey needs to get his shit together!" I almost flinched at the use of his name.

"I don't mind him, I think he's great. I just don't remember anything." I said a little too defensively.

Sasha briefly raised an eyebrow, "Well, whatever. Even if I do flunk it my dad will just pay extra so that I can graduate." And with that she got up and left, giving Peter a quick peck on the cheek.

"Dude, you gotta break up with her." Aaron emphasized. We all knew that she was never up to any good and didn't have the future that Peter did.

"I know she's not like me, but hey, opposites attract?" I could hear the doubt in his voice.

I hadn't known Sasha for long, hell, I barely knew her at all. But I could sense that she really was up to no good. I decided to keep my distance from her, I don't need any drama in these last few months of high school.

~~~~~~

Hey! Peter and I were going to get breakfast tomorrow morning, wanna join?

Sasha texted me out of the blue. I was in the kitchen working on a new app idea when my phone buzzed. I had to reread the message a few times in order to fully believe what was before me. I hesitated before my fingers hit the screen,

Sure, where are we going?

I bit my lip as I read my message about a thousand times. It seemed a little too forward but this was Sasha I was talking to...\

IHOP?

There was an IHOP right across from our high school and everyone always went during lunch or whenever they were free. It was also a popular hang out spot on Friday nights since the workers let us stay as long as we want.

I'll see you there :)

There was a little voice inside my head saying that I should back down, but I decided to ignore it.

***A/N***

Hey guys thank you so much for understanding this postponed update! This week has been crazzzyyy and it's possible that Monday's update will be moved to Tuesday as well. Love y'all sm!!! Don't forget to vote and comment <3