Chapter 47

***DANNI'S POV***

Finals week.

One more day until my 18th birthday.

Honestly, I wasn't that nervous. Both my history and physics finals were pretty straightforward; however, I was a little on edge about calculus. I knew all my stuff but I have a history of making a ton of stupid mistakes on big tests like these.

The morning of my calculus and Spanish final (also my last day of finals) I went to Starbucks and treated myself to a venti iced macchiato in celebration of almost completing my senior year. I saw a few other kids in my grade there but I don't think they saw me.

The room for my calc final was the same room as my Spanish class. Aaron was sitting in the front of the classroom on the left side. I took the seat behind him and put three pencils, a high quality eraser, and a thing of lead on my desk.

"Prepared enough?" Aaron joked and we both chuckled. "Seriously though, how are you feeling? I'm kinda nervous, not gonna lie." I could see his legs shaking.

"Don't worry, you're going to do great. We all are." My shoulders rose as I got more tense. "Not gonna lie, I'm also a little on edge." I gritted my teeth.

"Ohmigosh stop. You're by far the smartest person in this whole grade." He waved his hand and turned forward in his seat. The bell rung and our proctor stood up in front of the class and read over the same rules that we all heard before. No talking, cheating, or leaving the room. He passed out our tests and I began immediately.

I've always hated multiple choice for math. Even if I get the right answer, I'm always doubting myself and thinking that the other options are correct. I took a deep breath and cleared my head. I knew this stuff, I had learned it before and I've done well on all the tests. I can do this.

Halfway through the time slot, Lucas came in. I noticed Aaron shift in his seat when he passed us which I thought was odd. I caught him glancing at Lucas for a little too long....

"Any questions?" Lucas clapped his hands together, standing in the center of the room. Everyone was silent which he took as a no. "Alright well good luck. All of you." He looked over in my direction and Aaron quickly turned his head back to his paper.

Lucas gave me a subtle wink as he walked passed my row and out of the room. His confidence in me definitely gave myself more confidence. I finished the test with half an hour to spare and all my answers were correct (at least that's the impression I got from my calculator).

When the bell rung I met up with Aaron outside in the hallway. He gave me a confident smile as I approached him.

"You look happy." I smiled back and we made our way to the cafeteria to start studying for Spanish.

"Yeah. I feel good about it." He seemed happier than usual. "I don't know, I guess like halfway through my nerves just calmed and I was able to regain myself." He looked at his feet while we walked.

"That's good. I'm sure you did great." I replied.

I noticed Lucas walking towards us and he gave me a slight smile. Aaron looked up and I could tell his expression had completely changed.

"Hey, you two." He stopped us in the middle of the hallway. He was carrying a piece of paper that looked like a schedule. "How did it feel?"

Aaron was completely frozen. His face had turned bright red and he could barely make eye contact. What the hell was up with him?

"Pretty good." He finally looked up and genuinely smiled. I nodded in agreement.

"Great to hear. You guys are one of my star students, I'm expecting nothing less than perfect." He jokingly winked at us and Aaron, if at all possible, turned even more red.