Chapter 43

***DANNI'S POV***

Sasha didn't include me in any of the arrangements between her and Lucas about their little meetup and truthfully, I didn't want any part of it. For these last three weeks of high school I am just going to lie low, do what Sasha says, and get the hell out as soon as I can.

Doing Sasha's homework wasn't as bad as I thought, it actually helped me with my finals studying. However, when she calls me at two in the morning drunk on a Thursday night and asks for a ride home, that's when I get a little annoyed.

My dad spends most of his time working on his truck, despite the fact that it's 15 years old and has 246,000 miles on it. When I told him how close I was to buying a new car, he insisted that I buy the same model as his.

"I'm leading towards the new GMC's but I also really want a Jeep." I defended myself at dinner. It was fun to get in a friendly argument with him without worrying that it gets too heated.

"Everyone has a Jeep." My dad said with a mouthful of Wawa Mac and Cheese. "But if you roll around in a GMC." He pointed his fork at me in between bites. "That's a head turner."

I laughed at his comment and almost immediately came up with a rebuttal. "Turning heads causes a car accident, and that's not what we want, is it?" I realized how lame the comeback was and we both laughed at my failed attempt.

Just then, my phone rang. Sasha. I rolled my eyes and put my phone to my ear. "What's up?" I tried to sound friendly but I was mad that she called while I was bonding with my dad.

"Danni! Just the person I wanted to see." She started laughing, obviously drunk. "Ha! I can't see you! I can hear you, though!" I heard music blasting in the background. "Listen, I need you to pick me up at the pub in like 10 minutes?" Before I had a chance to respond she hung up. The pub was 20 minutes from my house and I knew she was going to be angry if I was late.

I turned to my dad and frowned. "My friend needs my help. Her car battery died and she needs me to jump it." I was proud of myself for the excuse I thought of on the fly.

"Do you need help?" My dad seemed impressed when I told him that I knew how to jump a car. "Alright, call if you need anything."

"I will." I yelled as I was halfway out the door.

When I got to the pub, Sasha was outside waiting for me. There was a guy, whom I didn't know, standing there with her. They were drinking and laughing together. I rolled my eyes and pulled up in front of her.

"Danni! Perfect timing!" She yelled. The guy she was with seemed much older than her. He helped me get her into the car. I thanked him and sped away as soon as I could. It was worthless to try and get information from Sasha about him. She was practically asleep the second I got on the highway.

I put the radio on to the country station and tapped my fingers on the steering wheel to the beat of the song. The roads were pretty much empty even though it was only 11 pm. When I arrived at her house, Sasha was completely blacked out. I was relieved to see that no one else was home. My joy diminished when the door was locked.

I searched Sasha's coat and purse but there was no key. I tried to wake her up but it was no use. I looked around her front porch, turning over every flower pot and looking in every shoe but there was no key. I pulled the garage door open and looked for any spot as to where a house key would be hidden. I almost gave up my search until I looked in the messenger bag attached to one of the bikes mounted on the wall.

"Thank god." I whispered to myself as I went back outside to unlock the front door. Thankfully Sasha was pretty light so it wasn't that hard for me to carry inside and upstairs into her room. I decided to leave her in the clothes she was in-ripped jeans and a white crop top-instead of changing her into her pajamas. My only job was to be a chauffeur, not her butler.

I raced home, hoping my dad was still awake. The kitchen was empty and all the dishes were clean. I saw that my dad's bedroom door was closed so I decided to follow in his footsteps and hit the hay as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alright guys, you've made it this far. Don't mess it all up now. You only have two more weeks of school left, then you're done." Lucas gave us the "senioritis" speech, not like we've already heard it a million times. I wasn't even sure as to why he was telling us this. He's giving us class time from here on out to prepare for the final so it's not like we have any chapter tests coming up.

Not all my classes were that easy. I had to three essays due in English as well as a research paper in American History II. For the most part, I spent our study period in math doing the work for my other classes. And, of course, doing all of Sasha's work. She was taking much easier classes than I was so I wasn't too upset about the workload.

According to Aaron, Peter and Sasha broke up. Apparently he was tired of her going out and drinking every other night and hitting on guys that were much older than her. I smirked when I heard that she was making out with guys that were the same age as Lucas, even older. The thought of the two of them making out made me want to throw up, I'm sure Lucas wasn't a huge fan either. He promised me that he would tell me after it happens so I won't have to think about it anymore.

"Hey Danni." Peter waved at me as I sat down at the lunch table. Our table was completely empty with the exception of Peter and I.

"Hey, Peter. How have you been doing?" He knew that I was talking about him and Sasha.

"Actually, I feel so much better." He said truthfully. "I feel so much more independent now, ya know?" He took a sip of his chocolate milk.

"Yeah, that's great." I dug into my salad. I finally decided to buy myself a scale and turns out I was 12 pounds over my weight goal so I was devoting these next few weeks to healthier eating.

"Thanks, Danni." He smiled at me then went back to his own lunch. It was weird not having Aaron there but I liked it when it was just Peter and I. He's easy to talk to and he can always keep the conversation going, especially now that Sasha is out of his life.

"So-"

"What-"

We both started at the same time and laughed about it. I insisted him going first.

"So, as I was saying..." He let out a chuckle, "What are you doing this Friday night?" He asked casually but I could see his leg shaking under the table.

"Nothing. Are you and Aaron planning on doing something?" I put my foot up on Peter's seat. He always hated when I did it and we both laughed.

"Actually, I was wondering if you just wanted to do something with me?" He bit his lip anxiously waiting for my response.

I thought about it. It's not an official date, just two friends hanging out. Aaron and I do it all the time. Then again, Aaron is gay and Peter sure as hell isn't (Sasha's stories about what they do in their alone time proves it).

"Yeah." I finally said. "I would love to." I saw him relax as a sense of relief swept through him.

"Can't wait." He smiled genuinely, showing off his perfectly white, straight teeth.