Chapter 16

***A/N***

Heyyyooo! I'm back! So much has been going on its crazy!! Anyways I'm back and better than ever. Huge thank you to all of you who are still a loyal reader, I love you guys!! Alrighty enough out of me, enjoy this chapter!

***DANNI'S POV***

"Come on in, dinner's almost ready." I heard Lucas' voice coming from the kitchen. I was watching the news on the tv in the living room. The sound of the waves crashing against the shoreline was echoing into the house; I could listen to it for hours. When I walked into the kitchen, the scent of mashed potatoes filled the room. 

"Mmm, that smells amazing. What's for dinner?" I took a seat at the end of the antique, oak table. Lucas put the pan of meatloaf in the center along with the mashed potatoes and green beans. 

"Your favorite." He grinned the kissed me on the forehead. 

"You're the best" I smiled and took a slice of the meatloaf and dropped it onto my plate. Right before I took my first bite, I heard Lucas say my name. I put my fork down and glanced at him. "Yeah?" I heard my name again in his voice but his lips never moved. My heart started to beat faster as my name kept being repeated. I close my eyes tightly then immediately open them. The scenery changed and I saw three blurry figures standing in front of me. I blinked again and they slowly came into focus. I recognized Lucas immediately but I didn't know the other two. Looking around I realized I was in the hospital. Why was I in the hospital? 

"Danni?" Lucas barely whispered.

"W-w-where am --" All three of them hushed me immediately.

"Save your energy." Lucas corrected me, "Just rest, ok?" I was confused but nodded along. My vision came almost completely back and I noticed the bandages on my arms and the whole thing came racing back. My father... Lucas... Blood... The kife... My expression must have changed because Lucas put his hand in mine, "You're going to ok. You're safe now." My heart started pumping, the authorities must know about this now. They're going to find out that I only lived with my father and now that he's going to be arrested, I'll be all alone. They'll have to send me to a foster home since I'm still only 17, a kid. 

"What did you tell them? The authorities." I got my voice back as well. The doctors left a while ago and it was just Lucas and me, alone again. 

"They haven't come yet." Lucas took a deep breath. "What should I tell them?" I could tell he was being careful with his words. 

"Well, you can't tell them my father did this, they'll arrest him then I'll be put into a foster home." I started to think, "You could tell them that I did this to myself, but then I'll never get out of counseling." 

"I could always just tell them that a stranger broke into your house and did this? Or you could say that you didn't know who did this." Lucas bit his lip. He was just as nervous as I was once he knew the heat of the situation. 

"But if I say that I didn't know who did it, they'll investigate and eventually find my father's fingerprints or DNA or anything." My heart was racing. There was no good way to handle this. 

"Well, of course, they'll find his DNA and fingerprints, it's his house! They can't prove that that data was correlated with the incident." Lucas almost jumped out of his chair. I had to think, how could anyone work around that excuse. Just then, a tall and lean man walked into the doorway. He was wearing a beige suit and I could just barely see an earpiece. He had to be an investigator

"Danni O'Neal?" I nodded, "Can I speak to you in private?" He turned towards Lucas who immediately picked up his coat and left the room, giving me a reassuring nod as he passed the investigator. Once Lucas was nowhere to be seen, the investigator pulled up a chair next to my bed. "Do you think you could tell me what happened last night?" Despite his stern look, he seemed friendly, like he actually cared about my well being. 

"Yes, I can." I sat up slowly and looked him into the eyes and told him the only story that would keep all the secrets hidden in the dark, forever.