Chapter 39

***MR. GREY'S POV***

Tracey Ryan introduced herself to me the day after spring break. I had seen her at meetings and in the teacher's office but we never fully met. She keeps coming into my room during lunch while I'm grading tests and sits in the student desk that's closest to mine. At first I thought it was strange but once I've gotten to know her, she seemed pretty nice. I told her about Danni and how proud I was of all her accomplishments, strictly as her teacher.

What I didn't expect, was to see Tracey and Danni talking to each other. They were really only the two women in my life, other than my mother and my two sisters. Tracey was openly flirting with me-more so than usual-right in front of Danni. I knew Danni was uncomfortable so I had to get out of there as soon as possible.

As soon as I walked into the teacher's office I knew it was the wrong move. Danni just watched Tracey flirt with me then walk into the office with her without even looking at Danni. I wanted so bad to go back out and make sure she was okay, but it was too late.

"So, Lucas." Tracey started as she beat me to the coffee machine. "Want some?" She asked holding the coffee pot in her hand. I smiled and nodded, holding my mug out for her to pour the coffee into. "What are you doing Friday night?" She asked casually.

"Probably going to wrap up grading these calculus tests then just watch some tv or a movie." Right as the words came out of my mouth I realized I made a mistake.

"So sounds, like you're not doing much." Tracey started and I bit the inside of my lip. "Would you wanna grab a drink or something?" She brushed her arm against mine while turning around to go to her desk.

I hesitated. Would saying yes be cheating on Danni? Yes, we are taking a break but only for the safety of our relationship - not because of a fight or anything. "Uh... Yeah, sure." I said slowly.

"Great!" She obviously didn't care about my hesitation. "I'll text you later." She smiled and winked. I took a deep breath and went over to my desk. I tried looking through the window on the door to see if Danni was still out there but the hallway was vacant.

~~~~~~~~~

I wish the week went by slower. Every day I was dreading Friday night. I wasn't even sure how Tracey ever obtained my phone number but she texted me the second school got let out on Monday, the day she asked me out. I opened my phone in between classes to reread the texts.

Hey! It's Tracey!

Afternoon

So, what's your favorite club?

Club?

Oh, sorry. I guess a bar suits your personality better :))

Wherever you want to go is fine.

Such a gentleman!! How about Red Eye's?

Perfect.

Wonderful!!! Pick me up at 7? My address is 32219 Park Avenue.

See ya then.

Red Eye's Dock Bar is a hike from where I live. My house is right near the high school but turns out Tracey lives a good half hour away. I didn't mind it though, Red Eye's is a great bar with good food too.

I was so engulfed in my text messages that I didn't even realize that 4th period had already started. "Sorry about that guys." I stood up and struggled to put my phone in my pocket.

"Having an interesting conversation?" Aaron joked and everyone giggled.

"Ha ha, very funny." I replied sarcastically. Aaron turned himself into the class clown ever since the incident in the Poconos. I wasn't sure if he was just trying to make things less awkward or what...

The period went by slowly, I cut everyone loose on their homework with 20 minutes left of class. I saw that Danni had her computer out and noticed she was working on her new app. She told me about it (casually, of course) and I was excited for her.

~~~~~~

I secretly wished there was a surprise meeting on Friday after school but of course everyone was in a rush to get home. Not me. I hoped that grading tests would make time go by slower but it seemed to only quicken things up. Before I knew it I was already showered, dressed, and pulling out of my driveway at 6:30.

Thankfully, there was traffic. It took me an extra 15 minutes added on to the already 30 minute drive to get to Tracey's. I pulled up to a small but cute house. The exterior was painted a light yellow with white accents. Before I could even stop the car in front of her house, Tracey was already out the door and halfway up the walkway.

She was wearing a floral dress with a black sweater that went almost down to her ankles. She was carrying a small black purse, only big enough to hold her phone and maybe some cash. Her heels were only an inch tall but enough to make a difference in her height.

"Hey!" She exclaimed, getting into the front seat. My Jeep was lifted so it was a little awkward for her to get in but she tried to play it off smoothly.

"Sorry for the wait." I said causally and pulled a U turn in the middle of the street. "The traffic sucked." I lied. We drove down the two lane highway in silence, the radio wasn't even on. My hands were frozen on the steering wheel, scared that if I made any kind of movement Tracey would start a conversation.

The drive was painfully long. Why I agreed to go to a bar that was 15 minutes from Tracey's house was beyond me. When we finally arrived, most of the parking spaces were taken. "I can drop you off so you won't have to walk so far." I offered but she refused.

"I don't mind the hike." Tracey smiles and put her arms around mine. We ended up parking in a different lot, one filled with gravel. Tracey was having a tough time walking on the stones in her heels so I offered my arm in support. She gladly accepted as we slowly made our way to the restaurant.

"Welcome to Red Eye's Dock Bar. Do you have a reservation?" A young man was at the desk, probably a college student. He was wearing a dress shirt and his hair was neatly brushed the the side.

"We were just going to sit at the bar." Tracey said before I could respond.

"Wonderful. Anna, here..." He waved his arm towards a young lady who was probably his age. Her dirty blonde hair was put up in a loose but neat braid. She guided us towards the bar and showed us our seats.

"Thank you." I said and sat in one of the bar seats. There were about 15 other seats, all of them taken. All the TV's had a basketball game on which gave me an excuse to not make eye contact.

"What can I get you folks?" The bartender asked. He was much older than I was, bald hair and crystal blue eyes.

"Martinis." Tracey ordered for the both of us. "Bottomless."