Chapter 26

***DANNI'S POV***

Lucas and I took our time at breakfast. There were only a handful of people there. Mostly what looked like of students and their families in my position: touring a college. Maybe some of them are also up for the scholarship fund. Only a few of us will get the scholarship and today is what determines who is going to be in the final running. I already felt pretty nervous which I guess was inevitable.

"Are you okay?" Lucas could sense how nervous I was. Before I could answer he continued, "There's nothing to be worried about..." He reached his hand out to meet mine but stopped himself, hesitated, then brought his back to his side. "...Look, I know there's a lot going on right now. Between us, school and your situation at home, it's a lot to juggle." He looked down at his hands, "Most of those things shouldn't be something that someone should be worried about." I knew he wasn't talking about my situation at home or school.

I remained silent for a few moments, trying to think of what to say. My emotions started to get the best of me, "Lucas..." He put his hand up to stop me. Without even making eye contact he got up, threw his half-eaten bagel away and went back up to the room. I have always been good at hiding my emotions but I could feel my face grow red. I wanted to follow him but he needed some space.

Lucas and I still had about an hour before we had to leave the hotel so I decided to give him a half an hour to cool off. I stayed in the lobby and watched people come and go. My phone buzzed and I hoped it was Lucas but it was Aaron.

Hey nerd, how's everything going? I'm so jealous, you get to spend the whole weekend with Mr. Sexy!!!

I laughed at Aaron's text and replied:

Hahah shut up! We have conjoining rooms since the school wouldn't let us share a room.

I had to lie, there was some kind of rule that student and teacher couldn't share a single room but no one enforced it.

Oooh that sucks. Anyways just wanted to let you know that everything's been fine at the library. Mrs. Rose hasn't been feeling too well so I've been alone most of the time.

I totally forgot about the library. I felt bad that Aaron has been there all alone the whole time.

If you want feel free to close it early. No one really comes in on Saturday

No worries. I like the quiet. Alrighty I'll let you get back to Mr. Sexy :))) :p

I laughed and turned my phone off. My good mood quickly vanished when I remembered how I left things with Lucas. I took my time throwing my trash away then went to the elevators. The doors opened and there he was, his eyes seemed irritated.

"Are you okay?" My stomach twisted seeing him in pain. He didn't deserve this.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what had gotten into me." His eyes locked onto mine. I opened my mouth to say something but he kept going, "With everything that happened at the airport I just keep thinking that what we are doing is crazy." The color of his face seemed to go back to normal.

"There's no reason for you to apologize. You have every right to be upset and I don't think we are crazy at all." I smile a little, "You have no idea how much I appreciate everything that you've done for me." I didn't know what else to say. He smiled and put his arm around my shoulder.

"I don't care if we're in public." He whispered. I couldn't help but blush.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lucas and I arrived at the dining hall 20 minutes before the meeting was scheduled to begin and almost all the tables were already filled. There were name tags in front of each plate as well as a table that had name tags with an elastic to put around your neck. Lucas found our seats and pulled my chair in for me. I blushed and sat down.

"Can't believe the place is already packed." Lucas leaned over and whispered to me. "It doesn't even start for another 15 minutes." He glanced at his brand new phone.

"How's your new phone?" He still hadn't put a case on it and I made him promise to get one before we leave.

"It's good. Works like a charm." He smiled and my heart skipped a beat. Who knew that despite the fact that I've known Lucas for so long and how much our relationship has grown, my stomach still turns when I see him smile. He was amazing and I wish he knew how much I love and care about him.

After about 10 minutes of looking at my phone and glancing at the pamphlet, a woman stood up at the podium and announced that the meeting will begin shortly. I read on the pamphlet that the meeting will be 45 minutes long with a 15 minute Q&A at the end and an hour long tour afterwards.

"Hour long tour? In December?" I looked at Lucas who was also looking at the information.

"Good thing we didn't forget our jackets." I nodded and looked at my phone. I had a message from Aaron.

Mrs. Rose still isn't feeling too well so I've been at the library a lot for her. Are you really her only employee?

My heart started racing when I read that she wasn't doing too well. I made a mental note to get her a card and flowers.

Yeah usually there's no one there at all. Everyone knows everyone in our town so she trusts that people won't do anything stupid and for the past 15 years it's been a good system.

That's sweet. I'll let you know if anything happens. Say hi to Mr. Sexy for me!!

I laughed and turned my phone off when the same woman from earlier returned to the stage.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen. On behalf of the MIT Scholarship Committee, I thank you all for being here with us today. The pamphlet in front of you has the rundown of how this day will go but I also have some more things to make note of." She paused to let people quickly skim over the pamphlet. "We asked you to stay the weekend however some of you will not be returning tomorrow." Everyone muttered and I turned to Lucas.

"Just listen." He reassured me and my mind calmed.

"There will be five scouts observing all of our scholarship candidates and taking notes. Your behavior and interaction will be recorded and at the end of our tour, the scouts will be analyzing their notes from today as well as the project you submitted with your application." My heart started racing again, I knew my app was good but I didn't know that my behavior was going to be observed. "Thank you for your cooperation and we will begin with the presentation shortly."

"Hey," Lucas put his hand on my shoulder and I flinched. "Hey," He repeated and I focused my gaze on his, "Don't worry. You're the most deserving and qualified for this scholarship. They want to see confidence and I know you have it." He smiled but kept his mouth closed.

"Thank you. I guess we'll just have to see what happens." My nerves calmed a little and I had to keep my leg from shaking.