Chapter 6

*****MR. GREY'S POV****

I woke up to my alarm at 5:45. I lived somewhat far from the school so I had to be out of the door by 6:30 at the latest. I always aim to arrive around 7 or earlier but I've only hit that goal twice this year and it's already October. 

A reminder lit up on my phone saying that I had an overdue library book. I went upstairs and found it underneath the bedspread. I put it in my bag and hopped in my car. I looked at the clock, 6:50. Okay, not horrible. 

I never saw Danni when I was walking to my classroom but I didn't think much of it. I can't obsess whether or not someone had been seriously hurt or even died just because they didn't show up 38 minutes early to school...

~~~~~~~

Danni walked in with Aaron and my heart started beating faster yet again. Why does it keep doing that? I mean sure I'm not the biggest fan of the idea of Danni having a boyfriend. As far as I knew, they were just friends. That's it. Stop thinking about it. 

I let the class start their homework early and this time Danni and Aaron were working instead of swapping notes. That made me feel better. The more they bond the less likely they aren't just friends, right? It hasn't been that long since I was a teenager. Actually, it was. It's been 15 years since I was Danni's age. Is that right? I had to punch it into my calculator to believe it. Is she really interested in a man that's 15 years older than her? Let's find out...

"Danni, I need to ask you a question after class about your homework assignment from yesterday." She acknowledged me and thankfully no one even lifted a finger let alone seem suspicious. 

The bell rang and Danni closed the door when everyone left. She knew this wasn't about her assignment. 

"Yes, Lucas?" Damn, she still has that effect on me when she says my name. I bit my lip, I had nothing to say. Okay, say something, it's been five seconds... 

"I was just wondering if you were going to be at the library this afternoon?" It's true. I still had to return that book. Maybe she would let me get away with not paying. 

"Yep, I'll be there. Are you returning a book? I remember seeing your name yesterday in the system." She noticed my name, that's a good sign, right? 

"I am, it's called Eleanor Elephant is Completely Fine." Did I really have to say the name? 

"Never heard of it." She said kinda awkwardly. Why was she awkward? There was no need for her to be nervous or anxious or anything.

"Yeah, it's fairly new. I think, at least." Apparently, awkwardness is contagious. She just nodded and bit the inside of her lip. "Alright then, I guess I'll see you later today." I smiled, she returned it. 

"See you later, Lucas." She was almost out the door when she stopped, "I actually have a question for you." I was excited. She could ask anything. What was it? Stop thinking and find out. 

"What is it?" I didn't even need to try and sound interested. Mostly when students ask me a question, it's a math question or a homework question. But this was different. Danni had the freedom to ask whatever she wanted, and she knew that. 

"Tell me about yourself. Married? Kids? I don't see a ring or pictures." Damn, she was brave. Most students, or even teenagers, would be nervous asking that. But Danni isn't like most students or teenagers. 

"Well..." I sat up in my chair. "I am not married, nor do I have kids." I paused trying to think of something that's somewhat entertaining. "I was in a long-term relationship but that ended a few years ago." She tilted her head and came closer to my desk. 

"Why did it end?" Danni raised an eyebrow and damn was she sexy.

"Well..." Am I allowed to answer this? "She had..." I paused yet again. "She had lung cancer and passed away a few years ago." Danni had a concerned look on her face. 

"Sorry I asked, I had no idea." I felt bad that she felt bad. 

"Oh no please don't worry about it." Wow, that sounded mean. "I mean, yes it's sad but please don't feel bad for me." Could I have worded that any worse? "You had no idea, don't worry about it." Okay, I'm blabbering. 

"Well, I'll see you later today, Lucas." A shiver went down my spine when she said my name. When she closed the door I took a deep breath. 

~~~~~~~~~

I got into my car to head to the library. I checked my watch and there was about 30 minutes before closing time. I backed out of the teacher lot and made my way down the main road. I noticed that the traffic light wasn't working, it was just blinking yellow. I slowed down and checked both ways and right before I pressed the gas pedal my phone lit up. 

"Your library book is 2 days due!" I disregarded it and started forward. 

The last thing I remember is bright headlights and the roaring horn of an 18 wheeler.