Chapter 48

***DANNI'S POV***

I opened my eyes to read my alarm clock: 8:42. I went through my snapchats. So far Aaron, Peter, and Lindsay (some girl that I tutor) sent me birthday snaps. I replied to all of them then scrolled through Instagram. Aaron posted a photo of us when we went to the beach during Memorial Day Weekend.

I went downstairs around 9 and my dad was already up, reading the paper. He looked up and smiled when he saw me.

"Hey, there's my 18 year old!" He put the paper down and opened his arms for a hug. "How does it feel?" He asked after letting go.

"I don't know. It's so weird, I can't believe the day is finally here." I remember explaining to my dad how important this was time when he first came back and we were catching up.

"I'm happy for you." He smiled and looked at the stove. "Do you want some pancakes?"

"I would love some!" I mixed the batter while he turned the griddle on. I accidentally made way too many and we debated leaving them out in the front for animals to take.

"There's chocolate in them so dogs can't have them." I noted. We couldn't put them in the fridge o else they would taste horrible.

"Why don't you bring them with you to Aaron's? We can just keep them in the warming drawer until then." My dad said as he turned the drawer on.

"Okay, yeah." I put the plate in the drawer and went upstairs to change for my driver's test.

I put on jean shorts and a black tank top. I took a moment to look at myself in the mirror. I've been so overwhelmed with school and Lucas that I never really saw how much I've changed over this whole year. I got slimmer and my muscles were more defined. My skin had tanned from all the sun we've been getting.

"You ready?" My dad yelled from downstairs. I came down with my hair straightened and a small amount of makeup. Enough to cover my acne but still keep a natural look.

"Ready!" It was weird getting into the passenger seat of the truck. I was always used to driving it but ever since Sasha's accident I stayed away from the wheel.

We drove to the DMV and my dad went to the car show that was going on across the street while I took my test.

~~~~~~~~

The guy evaluating me was pretty chill. He seemed new at this and whenever we would even go over a speed bump he would clench up.

"Excellent job, Ms. O'Neal." He announces as he stepped out of the car, looking at his clipboard. "Congratulations on passing your driver's test!" He smiled and handed me a piece of paper to hand to the person in the building. He directed me to go to the front desk and hand them the paper.

I followed his orders and went through the whole process of getting my photo taken and all that.

I walked out with a huge smile on my face and headed towards the car show. I saw my dad watching others as they drove Jeeps through an obstacle course.

"Wanna do this? I'll drive." I smiled and held up my license and a huge smile appeared.

"That's awesome!" He exclaimed, hugging me excitedly. "I'm so proud of you! Let's get in line." He pointed towards the line of people that only consisted of about 12 people, most who I considered were in a group.

"So how was it?" He asked as we waited.

"It was good!" I said excitedly. "They guy seemed pretty new." I chuckled, "Every time we went over a speed bump he clenches up."

My dad started laughing, "Ha ha, that's great." I continued to tell him about where we went, parallel parking, all of it until we finally got to the front of the line.