✒️the other side of paradise

sew together

by harbar1031

must read.

"curled up in a grip when we were us, fingers in a fist like you might run, settle for a ghost I never knew, superparadise I held on to, but I settle for a ghost."

20. the other side of paradise
✒️day XX: the disappearance of eleanor banks

the hypnotic mixture of violins and piano keys faded off into the background as I imagined myself playing those instruments.

but in reality, my tired body laid carelessly on the cotton sheets that covered my bed. my hands sat on my stomach, intertwined with one another, my thumbs subconsciously playing tag.

the denim shorts I now have on made it extremely easy for my pale thighs to absorb the sun's comforting rays.

I inhaled and exhaled graciously as I tried my ultimate best to remain still as my sister elevated my foot onto her lap, as she painted my bare nails.

since my return home, I haven't once, spoke on anything regarding my kidnapping and what occurred after that point.

our conversations lately have been shorter than i remember, possibly because they're scared to say the wrong thing and trigger me.

"...hey, norah?" my sister's soft voice broke the unsettling silence that polluted the room.

the sudden sound of her soft voice, caused me to suddenly shoot my eyes open and look at my sister dead in the eyes for the first time.

"I know you don't want to talk about what happened but-"

Abruptly,  Jessica's announcement came to a holt as the previously steady air now becomes filled with the horrifying sound of the front door slamming, followed by a woman's scream.

"Ms. Banks! Ms. Banks, please! Help me!" The anonymous woman yelled, resulting in my body immediately shooting up from my bed, my breathing suddenly becoming unsteady, only complimenting my wide eyes.

I then jumped off my bed, completely ignoring the fact that my sister was in the middle of speaking and my toenails are still wet.  After exiting the room, I began to hear steady footsteps coming from behind me, indicating that Jessica was indeed following me.

The more the woman screamed, the more familiar her voice became.

I had an idea of who the voice belonged to, but I wanted to wait just to make sure. Unfortunately, my assumptions were correct, but I was really hoping they weren't.

I immediately regretted coming downstairs as soon as I was met with the terrifying sight of a bloody and clearly beaten Maria, being held up by two of my fathers bodyguards.

Instantly after locking eyes with me, Maria's eyes widened as if I was all of her hopes and dreams. "Ms. Banks! Thank god, please h-" her screams stopped once one of the men covered her mouth with his large hand. Whilst the men attempt to keep her quite, my father turned around swiftly, sharing the same wide eye expression that everyone in the room wore at the moment.

My hand now covered over my own mouth as I stared at my father in complete and utter shock.

"Norah, go back upstairs this instant! I don't want you getting involved in this!" He yelled at me, making it seem as though sending me away would be an act of helping anything.

"W-what did you do to her?" I silently asked, as my glossy eyes tried to focus on the scene in front of me. Mr father didn't answer at first. He just stood there, clenched his jaw then looked from Maria to me.

"quegli uomini hanno preso un pezzo del mio cuore lontano e ti hanno famigerato sia fisicamente che mentalmente, e non c'e 'alcun modo all'inferno che mi limiterò a far scivolare quella merda. così, per il rimborso, farò lo stesso a uno do i loro beni di prezzo." He told me, only making my heart fall into my ass.

Translation: "those men took a piece of my heart away and famaged you both physivally and mentally, and there is no way in hell that im just gonna let that shit slide. so, for payback, i will do the same to one of their price possessions."

"Father, no! Please, I beg you not to harm Maria in any way! She's done nothing wrong, I swear! She was the one who helped in ways beyond words, please!" I begged my father, my face now drenched with hot tears.

My father is a cruel man and just the simple image of him doubling the unspeakable torture he believed I was put in, drains my heart of everything.

Maria then bit the man's hand, resulting in him yelling out in agony, now allowing Maria to speak.

"Ms. Banks, everyone believes that-" her information was stopped as a large fist collided with my cheek. Knocking her out instantly.

The sudden action from the man caused my eyes to widen once again, as I unknowingly began sprinting over to her assistance.

But, just as I got in front of her, I feel the tight grip of my fathers arms around my waist, restraining me from coming in contact with the woman.

And before I could even have a moment to attempt to negotiate with my father, he ordered another set of men to take away my sister and I and keep us locked in our rooms for the remainder amount of time that they would be holding Maria.

And though I wanted to give up and just cry like I always did. I chose to fight. And paired with fighting is intelligence. So, in order to defeat a master mind, you must first become one.