✒️new rules

{im so sorry, this chapter's kinda sorta really long}

"and if youre under him, you aint getting over him."

60. new rules
✒️day LX: aint no sunshine when shes gone

since finn's surprise visit, and expected exit, paul hasn't stopped giving me these looks. like he raises his eyebrows and presses his lips together like he wants to say something but instead, speaks in facial expressions.

he claims that he, over anyone, knows that boy like the back of his hand. but, hes not speaking for just finn, hes speaking for every boy. "the time to keep an open mind about letting him back into your life was weeks ago. now, you should've been had your decision laid out and ready to go. you cant keep leading this boy on, sweetheart. either you want him or you don't." he said.

and since then, I have been thinking very hard about what he said and keeping it in the back of my head every time I look at the phone, contemplating on calling him. wondering if he ever changed his number or if he never did just in case id call.

but, the ridiculous thoughts continued to linger in my mind as I continued to get ready for tonight's event. just about a week ago, paul met an old friend in a coffee shop and since then, they've been talking on the phone every day. either to rant and compare their "kids" laziness around the house or to laugh and chat about the old times they shared with one another.

it was absolutely adorable. I loved how happy and cheerful this man made my d-paul.

and assuming paul made him feel the same way, last night, he invited us to his fifty-sixth birthday party at "Gabriel's Gourmet Palace". its supposedly a high-end, well-know restaurant that's built like a real life palace from the story books.

hearing this made me worried and cautious of the events that could play out tonight but, then I calmed down just a pinch amount when paul informed me that there will be kids of all ages there, and that I am more than welcomed to introduce myself to them. I thanked him for the kind offer but then followed by that, I kindly decline it as well.

the last thing I need right now Is to make friends. I never had them before any of this shit happened and I don't plan on starting now. especially not when I know no onw around this area anyhow. I rarely left the house. not because i couldn't. but because i didn't want to.

what could the outside possibly have to offer me? more pa-

"hey, peanut! if youre not down here in exactly ten seconds, I'm leaving without you!" paul screamed from the bottom of the stairs.

my eyes immediately widened at his sudden announced. id gotten so distracted by the reoccurring thought of everything and anything that ive experienced or soon will, that i completely forgot about the time.

the invitation itself said to dress formal-casual. but, paul said i should just wear whatever i was comfortable in. so, of course i wasn't going to listen to that. when it comes to first impressions, appearance comes first. then, personality.

so, i made my way down the hall and stomped downstairs, my heels clicking and clacking under me. as soon as I reached the bottom, I am immediately greeted with an eye roll from paul. "two hours of what? singing and playing dress up again?" he asked, rhetorically. "hardie har har." I said in response as we made our way out of the house.

...

upon our arrival to the palace, paul was more excited than I could ever be. he loved dinners. especially ones when you don't have to pay for anything.

so, here we are, marching up the entrance steps, my heart beating faster than the speed of light. its been so long since ive been to an event like this. and I highly doubt itll be my last.

I tried my ultimate best to make the worrisome thoughts to disappear from my mind. but, they only multiplied as we inched closer to the large white doors that separated paul and I from whatever is inside.

and just as the men who were standing at the doors took paul and my name, they tugged on the doors, gradually revealing the empty lobby. the room left both paul and I breathless and in complete and utter shock.

the lobby, itself, was astonishing. tiled flooring, waxed to mirroring perfection. the ceiling was decorated in crystal chandeliers and white lights. it was beautiful. and the simple sighting of such a place, made my heart melt and my mind forget where I was at and my purpose of being here.

and by the time I was done admiring the scenery, I had already subconsciously made it to the min door, leading us to the ballroom.

"hey. im supposed to be the nervous one. quit stealing my job." paul jokingly uttered to me, causing my last minute jitters to unknowingly vanish. "come on, you'll be fine. nothing can go wrong when there's food involved." he told me, resulting in my smile to widen and my hands to rub against my dress, in hopes of removing the sweat from my palms.

and seconds later, paul pushes open the cream-colored door, momentarily exposing the countless amount of people inside the even larger and more decorated room. the tables, the chandeliers, the decor, the food, the outfits, the people. everything, was complete and utter perfection.

as i proceeded to look around all the people, i realize that i, for one, stand out like a sore thumb. i was the only one in the room with jet black hair, and a black dress to compliment. and because i wanted to be "different", i decided on wearing a bold, red lip. no one else looked like me, not even similar. i look absolutely crazy.

as i continued to admire the view, and contemplate my purpose on this earth, another staff member got our names and began to lead us to our table. and just as we began to make our way through the sworn of circular tables, we were stopped by the sudden scream for paul.

"guys look! its my old pal, paul! whatcha doin all the way back there, bud! youre sitting up front, with the birthday boy!" a man, im assuming to be, "the birthday boy", yelled. and right after hearing the announcement, paul's body snapped in the direction of the source, his wide smile returning on his cheeky face once again.

then, he looks down at me, and draps his arm around my neck, guiding me in whatever direction he was going in. and after about thirty or so seconds, we wound up standing before a table of expensive—i mean, very well dressed people.

paul then hugged his long lost friend for a few extended seconds, allowing me to collect my thoughts and prepare my introduction. and just as i expected, two seconds later, both men turned to me, each attired in jolly smiles.

"and who might this beautiful young lady be?" he asked. "george, this is my kid, norah. norah, this is my literal partner in crime, george thompson." he told me, resulting in the man to smile widely down at me before taking and shaking my hand lightly.

"well, its a pleasure to meet you, miss norah. yknow, paul here, wont shut up about you." he told me, expecting me to laugh but his story didnt add up. so, i tilted my head and smiled smally.

"then, wouldnt you already know about m-" i began to ask the older man, but was immediately cut off by the sudden sound of paul coughing forcefully, followed by him mouthing, "dont you fucking dare!"

"uh, i mean, the pleasure is all mine, mr. thompson." i told him, correcting my previous statement. "alright then, enough talking, now lets eat, shall we?" he asked, already taking a seat.

just about five or so minutes later or me looking around the room, at all the beautifully dressed people, one came in focus. one made my heart stop and my brain to fuzz.

finn wolfhard. with another girl. a prettier girl.

he held her tighter than he ever did me. the way he whispered in her ear and made her smile from ear to ear. the way he...starred at her as if she was all of his hopes and dreams in one being. the way he was so...happy...without me.