Chapter Eight

Author's Note

Please read to understand chapter

Just a note the Princes wives will be referred to as a Princess Consort is accordance to who they marry. So; First Princes and First Princess Consort, Second Prince and Second Princess Consort, etc... The second wives and third wives will be referred to for example Second Wife Chan, using their family name to tell the difference. Only the First Wife can get the title of Princess Consort.

The low mumble of voices could be heard as the steward announced the couple. Usually the First Wife would be the one to attend parties first. Though several second and third wives could be seen they'd likely came with their house husband and first wife.

Da Fan smiled and followed Feng Huang as he leads them more into the inner room.

"Feng Huang." A boisterous voice called out, laughing jollily.

"Your Highness." Feng Huang greeted and whispered to Da Fan. "His Highness Jing Yi is the Second Prince of the Lonia Dynasty."

"Your Highness, my Second Wife Lady Cheng Da Fan." He said introducing the two.

"Second Wife greets His Highness."

Jing Yi threw an appreciative glance at Da Fan. "I heard you'd gotten married, and what a lovely woman she is." Jing Yi threw and arm around Feng Huang who remained stiff as a board. " Let us enjoy a drink, My Princess Consort will keep your Wife company.

Da Fan almost groaned when she saw the Second Prince Wife. Was she doomed to be forever haunted by the Congs?

The Cong Sisters certainly are almost carbon copies of each other, but the Second Prince wife was taller and more mature than her younger sister.

Da Fan couldn't help but sigh, no wonder she was a wife of the Imperial Family.

"Princess Consort greets Vice Defense Minister Feng."

Da Fan noticed she'd failed to acknowledge her, Sho she smiled and decided to greet the woman.

"Greetings to Second Princess Consort."

Cong Shu Lan smiled and looked in Da Fan's direction "Second Lady Feng."

Cong Shu Lan led the ladies and wives of the party to a plum forest. The mountains of plum forest were among the most beautiful. Passing through a door leading to the forest, the stone paths were swept away of an obstacle so that the people admiring the flowers were not impeded.

"Second Princess Consort is so lucky to have such a large and beautiful plum forest in your home." One of the wives teased.

"Oh it's nothing," Cong Shu Lan returned a smile and look at Da Fan. "Wouldn't you say so Second Lady Feng?"

Cong Shu Lan was jealous looking at Da Fan, she noticed the stares at the Young Wife.

"Second Princess Consort has such a beautiful attraction, my Feng House water garden cannot compare."

The women that heard this knew Cong Shu Lan was purposefully picking on Da Fan, after all it was Da Fan and not her sister at the party.

As the women settled and began to have tea together admiring the plum blossoms, Da Fan began to converse with some of the first, second and third wives. She quickly earned their admiration and respect. Noticing this Cong Shu Lan decided to raise her voice so the women at the table may hear.

"Second Lady Feng hasn't mentioned this one sister since she arrived. Why isn't the First Madam here and the Second wife is? I figure ladies like her be more suited catering the bed.

Da Fan heard the women at Cong Shu Lan table laugh and knew she was comparing her to a prostitute or concubine, only suited for pleasure and not public appearance. The women all turned to her for an answer, so Da Fan smiled widely with a voice of sympathy.

"It is as Second Princess Consort says, it is the duty of the Second Wife to attend when the First Wife isn't performing well or is ill. I felt so unhappy when First Wife couldn't attend, its no fault of hers that she's suck in her courtyard.

The loving affect in Da Fan's voice was naturally sweet like honey but laced with poison. If it wasn't for the fact that Da Fan was pointing out that Cong Wei Yang isn't performing well and that she's stuck in her courtyard you could imagine her as an angel.

Before Cong Shu Lan could grace them with an answer a Jing steward had happened upon them.

"Princess Consort, His Highness is calling for your return. The Moonlit Party will be starting shortly."

The women, especially the Second and Third wives looked at each other and laugh. Serves her right comparing them to concubines and prostitute. There was nothing worse for a family to hear your daughter isn't performing well to your husband. Even worse was it to hear it from the Second Wife.