Chapter Seventeen

"What a great high official of the Ministry of Defense."

Feng Huang knelt before the Emperor, listening as the court official listed out and commend him of his deeds. Every person of each Princes fraction within the royal court were reacting indifferently, and that is on the outside. They were all looking forward to see how the Emperor would reward the First Prince and Minister Feng.

Though the eyes of the Emperor were stern while looking straight at Feng Huang, occasionally a smile would grace his lips.

"You have truly earned your position as a Prince, contrary to what was expected you've performed even more greatly than I've expected."

Was the Emperor praising the Prince?

"First Prince Jing Long, for your bravery in repelling the Chawanian soldiers and capturing more than ten traitors to the crown, you're awarded the leader of a thousand man squad in General Wang's army. Take this opportunity to learn well."

Although to some this may not be much of a reward, but General Wang is one of the Emperor's closest aide. Every Prince vying for the throne wanted him as a mentor.

"General Wang is leaving for the Eastern border in a weeks time. Take the time to make your arrangements."

"Thank you Royal Father." Jing Long placed his right hand over his heart and bowed to his father. He exchanged a glance with Feng Huang and left the royal court as permission was given.

"Minister Feng, you really are General Feng's son. I was concerned I would lose a great tactician when he died and was disappointed when his son decided to be an official. You really are General Feng's son."

Feng Huang didn't know the reason for the Emperor's words but knew not to react to it. Showing the slightest weakness and that dragon would devour his prey.

"Thank you for your praise, Your Majesty."

"What would you want as your reward, Minister Feng?"

"I dare not ask for a reward, Your Majesty."

"Oh..." The Emperor raises a brow. "Why not?"

"It was my duty to help His Highness and as it was my duty I don't think I deserve a reward."

The Emperor let out a laugh. "You really are General Feng's son. What say you I adopt you as my son Minister Feng?"

"Your Majesty?" The officials instantly reacted to that, especially the Second Prince. Wouldn't one more son mean one more contender for the throne? The Second Prince clenched his fist looking at the Emperor and Feng Huang is pure disbelief. Would the Emperor really go through this notion of adoption.

Feng Huang didn't speak nor did he looked around less he be speculated of having coveting the throne. The Emperor was playing a dangerous game with is life, Feng Huang thought. Feng Huang knelt in silence awaiting the Emperor verdict.

Everyone was clearly waiting the Emperor's decision. The Emperor stare long and hard at his subjects. He really wanted to do something to scare the wits out of these fools. He has person left, right and center challenging his decision and role as Emperor. The Emperor clearly wanted to remind who is the Emperor. It has been a long time since he has reign hell and fire on his ministers.

"Your Majesty?" All the officials wanted answer.

The Emperor waved them off. "To be my son you need to impress me more Minister Feng. Prepare gifts for Minister Feng, he should be rewarded for doing his duty."

Most officials heaved out a sigh of relief when the Emperor did not continue to mention adopting Feng Huang, though they began to look at him differently. Clearly he has earned the Emperor's favour. Anyone that can earn the favor of the fickle Emperor was one to watch out for and one in which they should have connection to.

As court was to be dismissed, an eunuch came out and whispered something to the Emperor. The Emperor had a small smile on his face. Was this good news or bad.

"Minister Feng' The Emperor called out to Feng Huang as he was leaving. "The Empress would like to reward you."

Feng Huang wanted to frown. He didn't want to have anymore contact with royalty today.

Feng Huang was about to reject the offer, the Emperor spoke out to him. "Not as an Empress but as a mother."

Feng Huang bowed to the Emperor. "Yes, Your Majesty."

At the Emperor's nod, Feng Huang followed the eunuch to the Empress. All this time, the Emperor's eyes followed him.

"What do you think Wang?" The Emperor asked a figure standing behind his throne.

"Her Majesty gave away the wrong son."

Feng Huang followed the eunuch through highly decorated hallways and rooms, one grand building through another to the woman known as the Mother of the Nation.

"Your Majesty." Feng Huang spoke bowing to the woman in a throne similar to the Emperor.

"Huang-er."

I used the Chinese term 'er' because it is used to call someone affectionately. I hope you like this chapter, its a little bit short but please enjoy it.

I am trying my best to fill all the plot holes and make this a enjoyable read, so please be patient with me.

VOTE and COMMENT. Remember you can always message me if you have any questions.