Chapter Thirty-Seven

The winner of the cover is

This will be my new book cover for now

This will be my new book cover for now. Second place went to Image two, Third place Image Four and Last Place to Image Three. 

Now here is your long overdue chapter.

"Bitch!"

Second Prince Jing Yi slapped Cong Shu Lan across the face. The slap sent Cong Shu Lan sprawling to the floor; hints of blood could be seen seeping from the corner of her mouth.

"Didn't I tell you to leave that Feng Second Madam alone? This is the second time I've heard you acting against her."

Cong Shu Lan looked at the Prince as if she'd been wronged. She glared hatefully at the Prince. "Hit me again, Jing Yi, and I'll see what my Father has to say about this."

Prince Jing Yi scoffed at Cong Shu Lan's threat. If he didn't have use for her or her Father, he would have already given her a white rope.

"Get out of my sight."

_______________________________

"Bai Jun took the Imperial exam at the age of twenty and barely passed before becoming a minor official under Marquis Mo. The carriage also stopped at one of Marquis Mo's stores."

Feng Huang closed the report in his hands and ordered Steward Xin, who stood in front of his desk.

"Have someone continue to watch Bai Jun and Marquis Mo. Find out if either man has any contacts with Chawania. Have Ming Chang investigate."

Ming Chang was one of Feng Huang's retainers. Plain, with a very unremarkable face, Ming Chang was very useful when gathering information. He was perhaps the only one who could investigate this matter without arousing suspicions.

"Yes, Master." Steward Xin didn't immediately leave and hesitantly stood, awaiting Feng Huang's acknowledgement.

"Yes?" Feng Huang asked of him.

"Master, do you think Marquis Mo is conspiring with Chawania?"

"There's no definite proof, but it's the closest thing we have to a lead here in the capital. Marquis Mo's recent gold splurge may not be anything but him dealing with a merchant. Now hurry and have Ming Chang investigate."

Steward Xin nodded and hurried out of the study. Feng Huang, at peace, tried to piece together all the information he had: Chawanian soldiers were spotted outside their borders, no sign of their way into Lonia, and the more puzzling fact—there were no reports of attacks from the enemy soldiers to those who spotted them.

"I must go to the source."

Feng Huang put away the documents when a knock sounded at the study door. "What is it?"

"Master, First Madam is outside. She is requesting to speak with you," a servant reported.

Feng Huang was in no mood to talk to Cong Wei Yang. She and her sister had been nothing but trouble, especially for Da Fan.

"Tell the First Madam that I am busy. I have no time for her."

The servant left only to return again. "First Madam refuses to leave."

"Then let her stay out there." Feng Huang waved the servant away. If Cong Wei Yang refused to leave, she could stay outside all she wanted. As long as she didn't disturb him, he was just fine.

As the hour passed, the blinding heat of the sun licked the faces of all those who felt it. The ground smouldered and felt like molten lava. Even the birds were silent, and the grass stood still, as if too hot to move.

Feng Huang took the opportunity to call for water; ice was a luxury only available in the winter and for those who could store it. The servant who went for the water was the same one who informed Feng Huang of Cong Wei Yang. The servant felt sorry for the First Madam who was sitting outside, waiting for Feng Huang.

With the tray of water in hand, the servant walked over to Cong Wei Yang. "First Madam, here's a cup of water."

Disorientated from the heat, Cong Wei Yang looked at the young servant, and his face blurred to resemble who she hated the most. With a burst of strength, she slapped the tray out of his hands, shattering all the glass on it. Cong Wei Yang then pushed the servant down, and as he landed on the shards of glass, she kicked at him fiercely.

"Who are you to pity me? I am the First Madam of the Feng Household!"

The servants and all in the mansion heard the screams, which sounded as if a pig was being slaughtered. The servant, to this minute, didn't know what he had done wrong to be beaten like this.

"Enough!" A sharp voice cut through Cong Wei Yang's reverie.

"Old Madam?" Cong Wei Yang looked at the Old Madam, who, along with Feng Huang, had guards behind her with their swords drawn.

"What are you doing?" Old Madam was overwrought with anger and a bit of fear. "What in God's name did that servant do to possess you to beat him to this state?"

The servant on the ground was bloody and swollen. His face was riddled with wounds; his whole body trembled, and black and blue marks were beginning to form on the poor boy's body.

"Take him away, and have his wounds treated."

The Old Madam watched as the guards lifted the boy carefully and carried him away. When they left, she turned to look at her daughter-in-law. Cong Wei Yang's clothes were in a disarray; they were wrinkled, and the Old Madam could see splotches of red blood on her dress and shoes.

Cong Wei Yang looked more like a lunatic than a noblewoman. Feng Huang, on the other hand, was grim and was at his limits with her.

"I want a divorce."