Chapter Nine

The women slowly walked towards the the ballroom, with each then venturing off to their husbands.

Feng Huang saw that the crowd of noble women and official wives had came in with tense smiles and silence. Automatically his eyes begin to search for Da Fan. His eyes followed her every movement, he saw everything. The way she walked, her tense body language and especially that fierce glint in her eyes.

"What happened?" he asked Da Fan as she came by his side.

"Nothing, Second Princess Consort was just concerned about her sister."

Feng Huang looked in her eyes searching for any sign of lack of truth. He didn't know why but the front that Da Fan puts up for him and other was not her true self. He wanted to know her.

"Be careful." Feng Huang warned her.

Da Fan nodded and wound her hand around Feng Huang elbow leaning comfortably against him not even noticing that she was. Feng Huang on the other hand noticed and laid his hand on hers that held on to his elbow.

Across the room Cong Shu Lan looked at Da Fan who was snuggled against Feng Huang clenching her teeth.

Noticing his wife lack of attention, Second Prince Jing Yi looked at was his wife was staring at. Having seen it was Feng Huang and Da Fan he squeezed her hand that held his and when she cried out and look at her, he nearly snarled at her.

"What do you think you're doing?" He asked her

"Husband?" she said softly, confused at what he was talking about.

"You think I don't know that you're unhappy that your sister is not here."

"Husband?" she repeated.

"Do something to Second Madam Feng and don't think I won't wring that pretty little neck of yours."

To anyone in the room, Second Princes Jing Yi and Cong Shu Lan looked like they were flirting.

"Mess up my contact with the Fengs and I'll replace you. Unlike you and your sister, Second Madam Feng seems to have more sense that you two.

Cong Shu Lan was frightened and even more so wanted to why he slander she and her sister.

"Want to know my Princess? Then keep up your virtuous appearance and you won't end up like your sister in the ancestral hall."

Cong Shu Lan was going to question him when a steward loud voice shouted out. "His Imperial Highness First Prince and First Princess Consort Lou Chun Hua.

Everyone had stopped talking and respectfully bowed. Da Fan looked in the direction of Feng Huang and found Feng Huang eyes as he looked at the First Prince were expressionless.

The handsome prince had nearly the same physique as Feng Huang, though his black hair was held up in a bun at the top while the back was free flowing down his shoulders.

His Wife Lou Chun Hua was the epitome of a royal wife to the way she smile and carried herself to the way she walked. First Princess Lou Chun Hua was indeed a Imperial Wife.

"You don't have to be so courteous," First Prince Jing Long waved his hand and escorted his wife to his brother Jing Yi.

Any conversation after that was inaudible to Da Fan.

Drinks and dishes came out to the room soon after like a stream of water. .Da Fan looked at the plates of food and her mouth twitched. She turned her head, glancing at the young women dancers that the Second Prince called out. With each bend of the waist and wave of the arms, the audience were at full attention. With smiles of their faces, Da Fan knew a few of the women has caught the attention of the men.

"Wife having fun?" Feng Huang voice broke her out of her stupor.

Da Fan looked at Feng Huang who has a slight smile on his face and glass of wine on his hand.

"Em, Wife is having fun."

Wife, feed me."

Da Fan looked at Feng Huang as if he'd groan two heads to equal three. Da Fan personally picked up a thousand layer cake to serve him.

"Husband, taste this."

In there own personal little corner , one one noticed the two flirting.

Feng Huang ate the cake placed at his mouth, grabbing Da Fan hand to lick at her finger where a cake had gotten on it.

"Sweet yet not too sweet. It's good."

Blood rushed to Da Fan's cheeks turning them bright red. "Husband must excuse wife. Wife is in need of fresh air."

Without waiting for Feng Huang's reply, Da Fan fled to the safety of a nearby balcony. Feng Huang soft laughter followed her to the balcony. Da Fan could feel the heat growing in her cheeks, by now they must be beyond an attractive rosiness.

Da Fan suddenly felt awkward, demure and coy; going as far to attempting to hide her blushing cheeks behind her slim fingers. She paced back and forth on the balcony mumbling to herself.

'What's wrong with him? He never treated her like this before. Only appearing like a stick in the mud most of the time' Da Fan doesn't understand her husband.

Unknown to her two pairs of eyes were looking at her like predatory beasts.

"The woman is amusing. Will this be a test for her? If she's anything like Official Cheng, she could be an ally. I'll go. I want to see how perceptive she is?"

"Hao Shuì"

Started Da Fan turned around to the balcony entrance. The curtains and darkness impeded her vision but she could still make out a figure.

"Husband?"

The figure came into the light and Da Fan eyes widen as she gasped and bowed. The voice sounded just like Feng Huang and now looking at First Prince Jing Long closer, he almost looked like her husband. Could they be related?

"Forgive this one, Your Highness for her disrespect. Your voice reminded me of my husband."

Jing Long could see the questions and speculation in her eyes.

"And who is your husband?"

That's it, that's the voice. It sound exactly like Feng Huang.

"Vice Defense Minister Feng Huang, your Highness."

"And you are?"

"Second Wife Cheng Da Fan, your Highness. If you will excuse me, this subject will take her leave?"

His Highness Jing Long nodded and smiled watching Da Fan flee, with mirth in his eyes.

The Prince spoke with glee to the second figure who was watching Da Fan with the Prince.

"Second Madam Feng is a smart woman, isn't she brother?

The voice replied back staring at the retreating back of Da Fan.

"That she is....The capital is beginning to get turbulent, Jing Long. The Second Prince has made his move."

"I know brother, but with you here aren't I safe?"

The second figure came into the light scowling. When standing side by side the similarities between them was remarkable.