Chapter Nineteen

Meanwhile in the Feng mansion, Madam Feng had invited Da Fan to dine with her for the night, but had changed her mind and came to dine at Da Fan's courtyard instead.

Madam Feng sat in front of Da Fan, took a sip of tea and looked at her daughter-in-law.

"I heard you were injured in the attack on the First Prince and Huang-er. I wanted to come and visit you, but Huang-er said to wait until you came back. Seeing you now, I see that you've recovered."

"I thank mother-in-law for you concern." Seeing the eyes full of admiration and gratefulness Madam Feng found it very hard to speak.

She looked at Da Fan with a grave expression and asked, "Daughter, has Huang-er been to your bed recently?"

The question caught Da Fan off guard, even the servants present, Meirin and Madam Feng maid, included were shocked at the question.

"Mother?" Da Fan's mouth slightly quiver. Why was Madam Feng asking her this? " Yes, a week ago."

Madam Feng pushed the tea cup in front of her away. " Daughter, hat do you think a First Wife is?"

"Eh?" Da Fan was even more puzzled.

"A First Wife is the first woman that a man usually marries and helps him achieve wealth and power. As the First Wife you expect several things in return. One is to be the one to give birth to the first son."

Ahh, Da Fan could see where this is going.

Madam Feng placed a clear bottle of black pills on the table.

With white knuckles from clenching her fist too hard, and gritted teeth from the effort to remain silent, Da Fan looked on at Madam Feng. Suppressing the rage that was oozing animosity, Da Fan asked Madam Feng.

"What's this?"

"Anti- pregnancy pills."

"What?" Da Fan's shout was like acid; burning, slicing and potent.

"Anti-pregnancy pills, this should safeguard against any accidents that May happen in the future. I won't stop Feng Huang from going to your bed.

"Accidents? You're willing to risk a child that I might have so that the First Madam 'gives birth first'"

Da Fan was furious. This was not a race. This was the life of her child.

"This is for the good of the family. The first Madam comes first."

Seeing the betrayed look on Da Fan's face regret washed over Madam Feng like waves on a beach. She wished she could go back and take this daughter-in-law as the Feng First Madam, but now that was impossible. If Da Fan was indeed pregnant and because of her cause her to lose the child, the remorse would eat her alive everyday for the rest of her life.

Madam Feng got up to leave, glimpsing the bottle of cream Cong Wei Yang gave her on a table.

"What's this?" Madam asked of Da Fan.

Tired and weary from dealing with Madam Feng, she answered honestly.

"The First Madam gave it to me, says it will ease aches and pain."

Not caring about her face Madam Fen opened the bottle smelling its contents.

Shocked, she asked, "Can I take this, I like the smell. Perhaps I can use this as a sample to get more?"

"You can take it. I find that the cream doesn't help in easing pain when I rubbed it on my rm before. Luckily I didn't use it before."

"Luckily indeed." Madam Feng mumbled.

When Madam Feng finally left Meirin came to the table where Da Fan sat and clear the table.

"What is Madam Feng thinking, giving you those pills?"

Da Fan took up the pills handing them to Meirin.

"Ask Kuchen to analyze these pills."

"Mistress, you can't seriously be thinking of taking these pills are you?

"Meirin!" Da Fan shouted. "Do as I tell you."