Chapter 16 (The Anniversary)

"How time flies,i can't believe your anniversary is coming up in a a few days."
Munira and Zain were having lunch at their usual cafe which is not far from their office.

"You know Munni,it's been a tough year for me,with the miscarriage and all. But i thank Allah for even being alive to witness the year atleast".

Zain said with her face showing a little emotion by the mention of her miscarriage.

"And to top it all,i still haven't conceived again. I just pray that there's still a chance that I'll conceive again".

She added worry showing clearly on her face now.

Munira held her shoulders to comfort her.

"Zain,you need not to worry please,you will conceive again Allah's willing. Besides Allah tests his servants in different ways and he never burdens a soul with what it can't bear. Have more patience Zain,stop being pessimistic please. You will conceive again,this time around twins... or even triplets".

She finished wriggling her eyebrows as she pumped her fists in the air to lighten Zain's mood.

"I pray so Munni,i pray".

"Keep on praying,don't ever relent. Now what's the plan for the power couple's first anniversary?"

"Nothing big,Malik has been very busy lately. He comes home late and very tired. They're company is organizing the annual fundraiser event and he's part of the planning committee."

"I hate seeing him all tired and stressed out i swear".

Zain added in a sympathetic tone towards Malik as if he's there with them.

"I can see even after a year of marrying him the butterflies and the sparks he gives you are still up and doing ".

Munira teased.

"Shut up Munni... allow me to gush over my handsome husband in peace"

Zain interrupted throwing an empty pack of juice on her.

"Girl.. if you ruin my hijab with that juice imma whoop your ass".

Munira said dodging the empty juice pack Zain threw at her.

They both laughed and finished their food after which they went back to the office.

*************************
At office,Malik has been busy for the past few days as he's spearheading the planning committee for the annual fundraiser event coming up in the next month. Yes he has been trying to find an excuse not to work with Amal because she is becoming a distraction to him lately. He can't really say what it is and why she manages to make up to the list of the things he thinks about,but she's there in his mind. Not all the time but most of the time. Maybe it's because she's hardworking and dedicated to do everything he asks her to do correctly that's why,he thought to himself.

He pushed the memo he's working on aside and makes his way out of the office to grab some lunch as he's very hungry. He barely ate breakfast today even with Zain forcing him to eat a slice of pancake,he just had coffee. That's how his eating schedule gets wrecked when he's busy with work.

He found Amal's office empty,she's not sitting in her usual spot.
Maybe she's out to grab some lunch too, he thought.
Well whatever she's up to that's her business,he cares less. Another part of his mind thought.

Just as he entered the elevator,he saw two people talking,it's Amal and some guy from the public relations department. He recognised him because he's part of the planning committee for the fundraiser too.

She was talking casually with the guy and the guy had a big smile plastered on his face. For some odd reason he felt like wiping that goofy smile off the stupid guy's face.