Chapter 21

"Goodnight guys!" You and Wes waved as you made your way out of the dining hall. Mostly everyone had already left and all that was left were you, Wes, Shayne, Joven, Lasercorn, and Courtney.

"Bye guys!" Courtney said, walking up to the two of you and hugging you both at once. You wrapped one arm around her and left the other one dangling. You smiled as you pulled away and followed Wes out the door. You walked along the dark path, using your cell phones as flashlights.

"Hey, Wes. Want to go somewhere with me?" You looked up at him, and he quickly agreed.

"Sure, where are we going?" You laughed and grabbed his hand, intertwining your fingers together with his.

"You'll see when we get there." You pulled him down a path that you had found earlier that day while you were exploring the grounds. You could almost smell the lake water as you got closer and closer. The lake, thankfully, had a single post with a light right beside the boat shack. You walked up to the small sandy area and pointed to the small dock in the center. You had set out a blanket earlier that evening when you knew no one would be out looking for you.

"(Y/n)... How did you get out there...?" You pointed over to the small boat you had left out from earlier that day. He smiled and followed you out to the boat. You grabbed an oar and climbed in the boat.

"You can swim, right?" He asked you. You shook your head.

"Well enough to survive." You laughed, and he did as well.

"Well, it's a good thing I can, huh?" He said. You smiled at him and climbed into the boat. Wes followed suit, pushing the small boat off of the sandy bank. You rowed the boat out to the center dock and grabbed the rope out of the boat. You tied it to the post on the side of the dock and quickly climbed out. You offered Wes a hand, and he quickly followed, grabbing your hand. You walked over to the blanket and sat down, looking up at the beautiful, clear sky. Wes sat down beside you, looking up at the same starry pattern that was plastered up in the sky. You felt flashes of memories come to your head as you remembered Owen. Oh yeah, Owen. Your ex-boyfriend... I guess that story is relevant now, huh?

*Warning*
*Can be potentially triggering towards the end*

Your sophomore year of high school, you found Owen Patterson. He was a junior at your local high school, he was the schools straight A student, captain of the basketball team, he had all of the girls falling at his feet, practically licking his footprints and drops of sweat off of the dirty gym floor every day after he would finish practicing. You were just a normal girl. You didn't do much with your high school career if you could even call it that. You were in the school's band. You usually only came out of your corner of every classroom when the teacher would ask you a question or when the band was called for something, which was a rare occurrence. Then, one day your best friend decided to drag you along to her cheerleading tryouts and convinced you to try out as well. To your surprise, you ended up making the Varsity team, right above your best friend who was on Junior Varsity. After the first basketball game, Owen couldn't seem to concentrate on the game. So his coach took him out for the rest of the game. You had soon come to figure out that he was staring at you the entire time, which is why his concentration was off. You got home and receive a DM on Instagram. It was from Owen. You were nervous but excited at the same time. For the next couple of months, you two would text and video call every night before going to bed and every morning before you would see each other at school. During the pep rally for the end of the school year, everyone went silent as he walked across the gym floor with a spotlight on him and yourself. He had a microphone, and spoke the following words, which still suck with you until this day:

"(Y/n) (Middle/name) (L/n). You are the most beautiful and talented girl I have ever met. I know we have only been talking for a few weeks but I was wondering if..." He paused and all the lights came on, revealing a large sign behind him that read "Will you be my girlfriend?" Of course, being the nieve teenager you were at the time, you said yes. You ran into his arms and the entire school roared with excitement. That night, you had video called him and told him about how happy you were that he had finally asked.