i. | P R O L O G U E

F I V E  Y E A R S  A G O

"Please spare us." One of the Narnians begged.

The creatures trembled with fear as the young girl stood over them as they tried to anticipate her next move.

Guilt hits her like a loaded truck as she sees the look on their pale faces. She never wanted this to be her life, terrorising innocent lives of others.

"I know it's hard. But we have to do it, Nerissa." Her bestfriend, Jed, urges. "She'll kill us if we don't."

Nerissa's eyes darted from the Narnians to her friend and back again, all of which had the same terrorised looks on their faces for reasons that were more similar than they thought.

She nocked her bow, drawing the string tight as she aimed it right at her targets, ready to shoot at the creatures standing before her.

The loud thumping of her heart filled her ears and her hands had started to shake. She watched, with tear-filled eyes as the Narnians held onto each other tightly, bracing themselves for the end of their time.

"I can't do it." The girl's voice quivers as she speaks, "I won't."

She lets her bow fall from her hands and onto the thick layer of snow that now coated the ground.

"There's got to be another way to do this." She reasons with Jed, "We could hide them."

"Hide them where? The Queen has eyes everywhere. Do you even remember what happened the last time we disobeyed her? She killed our parents and she won't hesitate to kill us too." Jed sighs, "Our ancestors didn't sacrifice their lives back in Charn for us to live so that we could be killed in another world."

Jed runs a hand through his hair, looking just as torn as Nerissa had felt.

"Nerissa, look-" He started again, but was soon cut off by Nerissa.

She brought a finger to her lips, shushing him. Her brows drew close to each other as she listened attentively, eyes scanning the woods.

"Do you hear that?" She asks.

"Is that...A horse?" Just as the words leave Jed's mouth, a figure appears from behind the bushes.

It was, indeed, a horse-well, the lower half of its body was and it's upper half, was that of a human.

The two stumbled back at the sheer height of the Centaur that stood tall in front of them, a sword raised in front of him.

Out of pure instinct, fire bursts from the ground with a flick to Nerissa's hand, creating a barrier between them and the Centaur, making him rear back.

It wasn't long before the Centaur had regained himself. Now, he was staring at her, eyes wide with shock and mouth slightly ajar.

"It's you." He mutters.

"What?" Nerissa asks in confusion.

The Centaur lowers his blade, "The Phoenix. You're the Phoenix." He says.

The flames slowly start to fade to nothing as the girl continued to stare at the Narnian in confusion.