Chapter 30

Alec's POV

"You know what. I'd rather be stripped of my runes and sent into exile..." Izzy starts turning to me. "Than be a part of this world. What kind of people sacrifice justice for law?"

"That's very noble, Izzy. But the high road's not gonna look so great when you're running for your life from a pack of demons with no Shadowhunter powers to protect you." I tell her being honest.

"Jocelyn lived as a mundane." I roll my eyes.

"You know Jocelyn had her runes and her weapons. You think the demons won't find you?" I let out a sigh and walk behind her. "You haven't exactly kept a low profile. You can't just let them convict you. You need an advocate." She turns to me.

"Magnus." I just look at her.

"What?"

"I want Magnus. Please Alec he is the only one I trust with this." I sigh.

"Fine I'll go ask." She smiles and hugs me.

"Thank you, big bro." I smile and just nod before leaving too Magnus' loft.

When I arrive, I knock on the door waiting for him to answer.

"What do you want Alec? Tired of bickering over the guest list for your wedding?" He asks walking into his loft. I follow closing the door behind me.

"I need to ask you something." I tell him walking into the living room.

"Hmm. Will it take long?" He asks not even looking at me. "I have a life to live and there's not much for us to talk about."

"It's not about me, or... Ellie. This is about my sister." I tell him.

"Oh, I see. Are you referring to the fact that your adorable fiancée has Isabelle on trial for treason?" He asks already knowing everything. He turns around grabbing his drink and sitting in the chair next to him. "What can I do for you, Alec?"

"My sister wants you to be her defense attorney. I said I would ask. But I'm sorry to bother you. I know... I know a Downworlder can't defend a Shadowhunter in court." I say walking towards the door, but he stops me by talking.

"But a Shadowhunter accused of a crime can choose any advocate." I turn back to him.

"That can't mean a Downworlder." I say walking back so I was in front of him at a good distance.

"The Calve was so rigid and prejudiced back in what they called the Time of Angels that they didn't dream of a Shadowhunter asking a Downworlder for help. They didn't even bother to exclude us. So, since, as you all say...'The Law is the Law...'" He says mimicking an elderly man getting up from his chair, it's hard to hold back a laugh but I do. "There's nothing stopping me from slipping through this gaping loophole. For the right price." He takes a sip of his drink and I speak not thinking straight.

"Name it." I say and regret it as soon as I said it. He looks up and smirks.

"You." My eyes narrow. "In fact, I'll do you pro bono." I roll my eyes, I'm not doing this.

"Anything else?" I ask.

"What else is important to you? Other than Elizabeth? What else tells me that your sister means enough for you to make a real sacrifice?" He turns his back to me. "Oh... I know." He turns back to me. "Your bow and quiver. How about that?" I don't know what to do, that bow means the world to me. It was the first thing Ellie ever gave me, it's the only thing I have left of her. But if I don't, Isabelle doesn't stand a chance. I stand up straight and let out a breath.

"Done." I say.

"Hmm." Magnus says smirking at me, he knows what that bow means to me so he knows that giving it up is hard.