Chapter 31

Ellie's POV

We arrive back at Renwick's ready to fight some demons and get Clary's and mine's mother back. Clary and I are hiding behind a bush while the boys create a distraction.

"This doesn't make any sense." Clary says reading my mind when we don't hear or see any demons. "There were a thousand demons here last night."

"That's what he wants. He wants to draw us in force you to use the Cup." I tell her. Just then I hear blades hitting blades, I let out a sigh." That's our cue. Clary and I start slowly walking to the front door. We run up the steps and through the doors. Following the hallway, we come across an empty room, or so we thought. On the opposite side of the room Mom is floating in a magical bubble unconscious. I stare and so does Clary, I watch her drop her blade and run to mom. I would to but I have to wait for the guys, a few seconds later I hear footsteps running to us. I look and see Jace jump down the small steps with Michael following, they run in and close the doors behind them.

"Wait!" I say when I realize Luke isn't with them. "Where's Luke?" 

"We left him fighting Blackwell." Jace says holding the door closed with Michael. My eyes widen.

"WHAT!" I yell, "No you cant leave him out there." I run to the door but he stops me by grabbing me and pulling me away from the door. "No JACE! LET. ME. GO!" I yell trying to get out of his grip.

"Elizabeth you can't. Luke told us to leave him." He says still pulling me away from the door. I start letting my walls.

"No... Ja-" I'm just off by my tears. "Jace please..." I plead, "He's the only father I have. I... I have to- I can't be- Let me go help him. I don't want to be alone again." I say trying to get my thoughts through but it's not working, the tears are coming down full flow now. 

"I know, I know Ellie but you can't go out there. I can't risk the chance of loosing you again. Luke is going to be fine, you need to get your mom out of here but you can't do that if your dead. Please Ellie just trust me when I say he is going to be fine." He pulls me away from his chest and turns me to face him still griping onto my arms. "Elizabeth. Your not alone okay you've never been alone and you never will be alone. I will always be here for you, Izzy and Clary will always be here for you...." He pauses before continuing. "Alec will always be here for you. You are never alone Ellie." He looks me in the eyes.

"He has to survive Jace, if he dies now, he will have died for nothing. Clary can't wake her up. I can't leave him there Jace."

"Ellie if you die, no one survives this." Jace says honestly. "Do you understand? We will get Jocelyn home. Luke will be home." I look towards the door again. "Look at me! We will find a way to wake your mom up and you will see Luke again. Do you believe me?" He asks.

"Yes." I breath out, he smiles.

"Get ready." Michael says and I put my walls back up ready to fight.

"I guess now is a good time to tell you. You know in case we die here." I stand beside him my daggers at the ready. 

"We're not going to die Ro but go a head." He says still focusing on the door.

"I'm not going back to the institute. I already told Alec and Izzy but after we finish this mission I'm leaving for good this time." I tell him knowing its going to shock him and he is going to be mad but I continue before he gets to speak. "It's just to much to be there when Alec is getting married and the Clave will definitely question me or de-rune me for faking my death, helping rescue Meliorn, and they probably think I was working for Valentine and they will magically find something to show that I actually was. It will just be easier for me to disappear out of all of your lives, move far away and keep you guys safe. Valentine has planned to kill everyone I love I don't want to add you and Lightwoods to that list." I finish and he is eyes go wide but I walk away to the wall and start drawing the block rune.

****

Magnus's POV

I stands up because it's my turn to call someone to the stand.

"I'd like to call Lydia Branwell to the stand." I say knowing everyone would be shocked.

"I don't see the relevance." Imogen says.

"Well, that makes two of us. I don't see the relevance of this whole trial. Ms. Branwell?" I turns to her. "If you'll take the stand?" She stands and walks to the stand as I button up my jacket again and in front of my table. This is for Isabelle and my dear Elizabeth. "I just have one question." This is a very thought out question, in a way it answers both why Isabelle is on trial and why she is marrying Alec. "Why are you prosecuting this case?" She just stares at me knowing i'm talking about more than just the trial, her head turns to Imogen Herondale then back to me.

"Answer the question, Counselor." Imogen says knowing Lydia is talking to long to answer. Lydia takes a breath before speaking.

"Because the Law is hard, but..." Oh please don't say 'It's the law' that bullshit line has been used to much it's getting old. "... It is the Law." She finishes and I mentally roll my eyes. Not a valid answer. I'm about to tell her off about it but she cuts me off. "But that doesn't make it right. We're trying someone for being compassionate, thinking for herself. She saved a life that was being sacrificed for nothing." That sounds like Izzy... and strangely Elizabeth too. 

"That will be enough, Branwell" Imogen says. 

"No let her continue." I think because I like where this is going.

"No... it isn't. I'm looking out at the faces here. A brother and sister who disagree on everything except for how much they love one another...." I watch Izzy turn to Alec and him smile at her. "... And how loyal they are to each other. A man who took this case, pretending to take payment of rare objects." I turn back to her knowing she's talking about me now. "But who really believes that injustice towards his friends is intolerable. Loyalty, decency, compassion, love. These are the concepts that we should consider to decide guilt or innocence in a case like this." Lydia says and Imogen is not happy about it.

"Those are not the concepts of the Law. Now, enough of this nonsense." She says turning back to the crowd, I can see smoke coming out of Lydia's because she knows this trial is wrong.

"I agree." Lydia says turning to the crowd, "The case is nonsense." Imogen's eyes go wide and Lydia stands up. "I withdraw the charges." I smile and turn back to Izzy.

Alec's POV

"I withdraw the charges." I can't believe it, Magnus actually did it. The crowd claps and I walk up to him and Izzy who are hugging. As soon as they pull away I pull her into me and Magnus lets confetti go from his case. 

"Silence!" Imogen yells but no one listens, "Order!" still nobody pays attention. "Silence!" She yells again banging the gavel three times making us all turn to her. "If you think refusing to prosecute exculpates the defendant, you are wrong." My heart drops. "She is guilty. The defense was correct. The Clave wants the Mortal Cup. If it is returned within 24 hours, this ruling will be vacated. If not Isabelle Lightwood will be stripped of her runes and exiled from the society of the Shadowhunters forever." I don't know what to do, Jace isn't responding to my texts, Clary id to busy saving her mom or helping Simon or something. I guess I could try Ellie, I mean I know she didn't want to be a part of this anymore but Izzy is like her sister. I pull my phone out and text her knowing I'm not going to get a response.

To: Elizabeth

I know you don't want to be a part of this anymore after tonight but I need you help.Izzy is on trial for treason and she was just accused as guilty. She will be getting de- runed and banished in 24hour hours. However Imogen says that if the Mortal Cup is returned all charges will be dropped. I know you don't want to come back but please just think about bringing the cup back... if not for me then for Iz. 

I am about to add 'I miss you' on the end but quickly change my mind before pressing send.