Chapter 3

Notes:

There is a lot of backstory in the chapter but it's necessary so we can move the story along. :)

Chapter Text

“I made a deal with the devil?”

“You did and we’re going to have so much fun.”

Liz stared up into Klaus’ fathomless eyes. “So, what are the terms of the bargain? You can’t claim my soul so why are you here?” Liz swallowed.

“I’m not here for you. I have business in this region, encountering you was just an unexpected perk. I had every intention of leaving you alone until your death but now that we’re in the same place, I’ll enjoy having you around.” He didn’t smile but Liz could see a hint of amusement in his gaze.

“Then I’ll leave the academy.” Liz hissed and leaned forward. She was in his face now and she didn’t know where her courage came from. Half of her senses had shut down and the other half were screaming at her to run. She was sure she would freak out later about antagonizing the ruler of the underworld but now she was just angry. 

His talon tapped against her cuff again, “You could but we’re bound together whether you like or not.” 

The sleeve of his suit jacket moved when Liz ripped her wrist from his grasp. It revealed a cuff that matched hers and Liz’s eyes widened. “See?” Klaus held his arms out to reveal a metal band on each wrist. A golden rope seemed to shimmer between the three cuffs and Liz took a step back.

“Always discuss the terms before you make a deal.” Klaus straightened and his wings shifted behind him. “You will never be able to be free of me. Not until you die, and then your soul goes to the underworld anyway.”

“I was dying! What choice did I have?” Liz glared at him.

“And you wanted to live. I saw your mind when you prayed. You had so many dreams, and here you are achieving them.” Klaus motioned to her. “You passed the trial on your own and got into the academy. How I’ll never know. Your magic is disgraceful.” 

Liz blushed at his comment. She was about to ask him some questions when someone made a noise behind them. Klaus and Liz turned to see Elias stroll into the clearing.

“Sorry to interrupt your fun but you’re needed,” Elias said to Klaus. “War and Death are tracking a pack of Seraphim just north of here. They need you to make the killing blows since they can’t take the creatures on themselves.” 

“Fine,” Klaus replied and spread his wings. “Walk Liz back to the dorm. It’s dangerous here at night and I can’t abandon an extermination of Seraphim if she gets herself in any danger.”

Liz opened her mouth to say that she could take care of herself but Klaus glared at her. She shut her mouth with a snap and narrowed her eyes at him.

“Of course.” Elias nodded and motioned for Liz to follow him. Liz ignored him though and turned to Klaus.

“I’ll find a way out of this.” 

“Good luck, little human,” Klaus smirked and with a beat of his wings took off into the sky.

“Let’s get back to the dorm,” Elias said. After a glance at the sky, Liz walked over to join Elias.

“This morning when you said your brother was the devil, you weren’t kidding.” 

Elias scoffed and glanced over at her. “I wasn’t.”

“So, what are you?” Liz asked. Elias closed his eyes and when he opened them again they were solid black.