Chapter 16

Notes:

There are a few mentions of blood and violence in this chapter. Things get bad for a few characters but they’ll be fine, I promise. Most violence is near the end of the chapter.

Also, a few details are kind of left up in the air (like Elaine’s powers and a few other things). I did this on purpose and things will be clarified/explained in the next chapter. :)

Chapter Text

Something tugged at Sebastian’s consciousness, something frantic and wrong. It felt like a part of him had been ripped away and the drastic change was enough to pull him from his induced sleep.

He had long given up on trying to break out of his mental prison. Adastros had done an impeccable job at the cage he had crammed his consciousness into. Sebastian had clawed at the walls of his own mind for what felt like an eternity as he struggled to break free. He didn’t know how much time had passed when he finally had just given up and allowed the possession to settle in. Every once in a while Adastros would give him glances of things and they were always terrible.

The God was always watching him, always reinforcing the walls of obsidian and ice around Sebastian’s mind. Adastros was scared of him and his power, as he should be. If Adastros let his guard down for a second it was enough to give Sebastian the time he needed to break down the walls. 

But something was so very wrong and it was enough to put the fight back into Sebastian’s weary mind. 

And then he realized something, Adastros wasn’t paying attention to him. The god that had kept watch over his consciousness the last few thousand years wasn’t watching. Sebastian didn’t know if Adastros’ lack of attention was because he had been quiet for so long, or if Adastros just didn’t think he was strong enough. Sebastian didn’t care.

He felt his power began to build and he decided that he would put up a fight one last time. He would break out of this prison or he would destroy his own mind and take Adastros down with him. He was tired of being trapped here and he had to act fast before Adastros turned his attention back to Sebastian.

A cruel laugh escaped him as his consciousness caressed the rigid wall of his mental prison. His power flared and light engulfed his mind and soul. He felt elated as he watched the walls crack. 

He would be free soon and then nothing would stop him from wreaking havoc on the god who had caged him. He would roll over the heavens and the earth like a storm and no one would stop him from taking his life back.

Klaus sighed as he stared at the paperwork spread out on his desk in front of him. He had woken up in the middle of the night to find himself, Liz, and his bed completely covered in feathers and down. He was stress-molting and it was making him irritable. After the trauma his body had been through the previous day, he wasn’t surprised. The shock of the poison to his system had been great. That still didn’t ease his frustration. 

He had made all the feathers disappear from the room and carefully hidden his wings away. They would stay hidden for the next few days except for when he needed a preening. 

At the rate he was shedding feathers his molting would be done in a day or two but because it was happening so fast he would be grounded until it was over. He hated not having the option to fly.

So, he had left Liz asleep and gone to sulk in his office. He needed to finish the paperwork for the day anyway so at least this gave him an excuse to work on it. He would finish up here and then go back to bed with Liz. He didn’t want her to wake up alone especially after the step they had taken in their relationship last night.