Chapter 24

Notes:

Sorry for the three month long hiatus. Things in my personal life aren't that great right now. I also don’t know why this chapter was so hard to write. lol. If you need a reminder of who all the angels are then you can find a full list during the courtroom scene in chapter 21.

Chapter Text

It’s dark. Not the darkness of the night sky, littered with stars and moonlight. No, this is bleak and unending. This is darkness that gobbles up light hungrily and relentlessly. It’s like ink, messy and thick and suffocating.

All consuming

Yes, that’s the proper phrase, all consuming. It wants everything. 

The gates of the school come into view. The darkness dances around their shields as it tries to find an entrance to the academy. 

Suddenly Liz appears in front of the gates and tendrils of night and shadow rush towards her. They want to gobble her up but she has a shield of her own. The darkness hits her shield with such force that the earth rumbles. The shadows pull back for just a moment before they shatter her barrier. The darkness shoots forward.

A flash of light pierces the sky and suddenly Sebastian is in front of her shielding her. He dispels the shadows with a wave of his hand and then one by one the archangels blink into existence in front of the gate to flank him. They stand ready in armor with weapons drawn. They are rallying against some unforeseen force and they look….afraid. 

The shadows lick and dance at the edge of the woods before slicing through the air. They rush towards the angels and then everything goes dark.

Klaus woke with a jolt and sat up as panic rushed through him. Hell fire engulfed the room and the roaring flames were evidence of his fear. He hadn’t lost control of his powers like this in a very long time. He waved his hand in irritation and the fire smothered instantly. His hands shook as he rubbed his temples, his head was pounding. He took a few shuddering breaths and his heart rate steadied back out. He glanced over at the other side of the bed and sighed in relief when he saw that Liz wasn’t there. 

He reached out and placed his palm on her pillow. It was cold to the touch. She must’ve asked Amelia to take her to school so he could sleep in. After a quick glance at the clock, he saw that it was late afternoon. How long had he slept? He threw his legs over the side of the bed and stood up. Klaus stretched his arms above his head and his wings appeared and unfurled from his back. His body felt sluggish and he realized it had been a week since he had received a good nights sleep. 

Klaus was having nightmares. Luckily the worst of his dreams happened whenever Liz wasn’t around. He didn’t want her to worry about him. She needed to focus on her own well being first. He was doing his best not to keep her awake at night but with her new advanced senses, she could tell when he was having nightmares. They were both getting very little sleep.

After a bath and a quick bite to eat, he made his way to his study. When he entered the room a fire was already blazing in the hearth and Vincent was sitting in front of his desk.

“Don’t you have duties to attend to?” Klaus asked as he sat down. He started going through the papers on his desk and glanced up at Vincent.

“We need to talk.” Vincent crossed his arms and relaxed back into the chair. “I’ve decided that you and Liz are taking two of the horsemen with you today.”

Klaus let out a humorless laugh. “You’ve decided? Shouldn’t I get to decide who I take with me whenever I venture out of the underworld? Liz and I will be fine.”