Chapter 10

NSFW content in this chapter. If that’s not your thing then you can skip it. It happens after Klaus gets finished judging souls and goes to the end of the chapter.

Music inspiration: Alive by Sia

Chapter Text

A dull pounding headache woke Liz from her slumber. She groaned and pulled the covers up over her eyes. She was nauseous and knew if she moved too much she would probably lose the contents of her stomach.

Her mouth was dry and she just wanted to go back to bed. She stretched and buried her head into the pillow underneath her.  A familiar scent hit her and she froze. The smell of chypre, tea, smoke, and moss swirled around her.

Then she realized the sheets underneath her were different from the ones in her room.

This wasn’t her bed.

She sat up suddenly at the realization and her head protested at the movement. A growl of frustration escaped her lips and she rubbed her forehead. She cracked her eyes open and was incredibly thankful that there was no sunlight in the underworld.

She looked to her left and her heart stopped. Klaus was sprawled out next to her and completely at ease. His lips were parted and she watched the rise and fall of his chest. While he was sleeping the hold on his magic had dropped. His horns and claws were out. His wings were folded tightly behind him. The black feathers gleamed in the dull lamplight and Liz wanted to reach out and feel them. A smile tugged at her lips while she gazed at him. This was probably the most unguarded she had ever seen him. 

She shoved her headache from her thoughts and shifted, as quietly as she could, to the other side of the bed. Liz knelt behind him and tentatively reached out to stroke one of the long soft feathers. When he didn’t start or move at the feeling of her touch, she did it again. Her fingers found the large bone at the top of his wings and she ran her hand over the ridges of it.

A shiver ran up his spine and Liz stilled her touch. When he settled back down her fingers continued their exploration. She spread her hand wide and smoothed the feathers down over the wing. They were soft and they made her palm tingle.

“You’re tickling me.” 

Liz jumped at the sound of Klaus’ voice in the quiet and blushed at being caught. Klaus peered over his shoulder at her. His eyes were black and he smirked at her. “Did you get curious?”

“A little,” Liz whispered. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine. If I had a problem with it then I would have stopped you when you got up to move behind me.” Klaus replied. He sat up and his wings rustled as he adjusted them. He turned to face her and laid back down. He grabbed a pillow and stuck it underneath his head so he could peer up at her.

“You were awake the whole time?” Liz grimaced.

“I woke up the minute you woke up. You were moving around a lot.” Klaus stretched.

“I didn’t mean to disturb you,” Liz said.

“I don’t mind.” Suddenly he reached out and grabbed her wrist. He pulled her down and wrapped his arms around her. She stiffened for just a moment before relaxing into his embrace. Her head swam and she shook it in an attempt to clear it. She made a small noise of protest and he glanced down at her.

Understanding dawned on his face and he rolled his eyes. “Hungover?”

“Yes.” Liz nodded and winced. 

Klaus sighed and touched his index finger to her forehead. Liz instantly felt better and she blinked up at him. “Did you just take my hangover away?”