Chapter 18

Notes:

Thank you for all the kind comments! :) I've had a few people ask about the update schedule so I just wanted to say that I update every 2-3 weeks. There's a discussion about the mistreatment of the angels committed by the gods in this chapter. I don't go into too much detail about it and it only lasts a few paragraphs.

Chapter Text

“You won’t win.”

Sebastian jumped at the unexpected voice and tightened his grip on Elaine. She was sprawled across his lap sleeping peacefully and he stroked her hair. It was a grounding gesture and he took a deep breath in an attempt to calm himself. His heart hammered in his chest as he finally opened his eyes.

Adastros stepped from the darkness and Sebastian’s lips curled back over his fangs as a snarl ripped from his chest. He knew Adastros wasn’t really there, he knew that the god was just projecting himself across the lands to further torment Sebastian. Still the idea that he knew where Sebastian was hiding put the angel's teeth on edge.

“I’m going to leash you once again and then I’ll hand Elaine over to Ahaz.” Adastros smirked and Sebastian gazed up into the gods dead blue eyes.

“If you touch her or any of the angels I will make your death so full of suffering you’ll be begging for the fires of the underworld.” 

“You always were a bunch of talk.” Adastros smirked.

“Oh?” Sebastian tilted his head. “Why don’t you ask all the gods currently rotting in the underworld if I’m just all talk. You are outnumbered Adastros and you have so many sins that you need to answer for. It’s not just me coming after you. When the others find out you’re still alive they will stop at nothing until your dead. Phaedon will enjoy getting his hands on you.” 

“I enjoy a challenge. Soon all of you will be under the heel of my boot where you belong. I can’t wait to break you and the others all over again. And all the archangels that grew up not knowing my cruelty will learn. Those will be fun to torment.” Adastros buried his hands in his pockets and smiled. “If I were you I would wake up little Elaine and the new angel over there and get moving. I’m sending some seraphim to you as a present. Let’s see if your combat skills have held up. Have fun.” Adastros vanished in a puff of smoke. 

A shiver running up her spine was the first sensation Liz was aware of. It felt like she had been plunged into icy water and she was struggling to get to the surface. Her body was healing and changing, she could feel it. The most alarming difference was the weight between her shoulder blades. She vaguely remembered an overwhelming pain at her back but the only lingering sensation left now was a dull ache. 

She shivered again as the wind whipped around her fiercely. She jumped as consciousness finally slammed into her and her eyes fluttered open. Someone tightened their arms around her waist and she was shocked to find out that she was being carried through the woods.

“Don’t move.” Elaine’s voice hissed in her ear. 

Liz raised her head in order to see the dark forest blurring past them. Elaine was sprinting through the woods at blinding speed and Liz tightened her arms around Elaine’s neck. “What’s going-”

“Hush,” Elaine interrupted her. “I’ll explain everything to you in a moment but right now I need you to be quiet and to trust me. There are some seraphim after us.” 

“Alright.” Liz nodded. “I trust you.”

“Good because I”m about to engage them,” Elaine replied. She skidded to a halt and shoved Liz behind her. Her swords appeared in her hands and she took up a fighting stance. “No matter what happens you stay close to me.”