Chapter 8

Randy tapped his foot impatiently as he leaned back against the couch in the Prefects office. It was quiet and most students had gone to the dorm hours ago. Klaus had finished up his lesson with Liz and had dragged Randy back to the main building to get some work done.

A stack of paperwork sat in his lap and he glared down at it. Usually, he would just wave a hand and the work would be done. He needed to conserve his magic for later tonight so that wasn’t an option.

He glanced over at Klaus who was sitting across from him. He had been watching Klaus closely the past week. Something had changed in the other man. He seemed more at ease and Randy knew why. It was because of Liz.

He didn’t think there was anything going on between the two of them. At least not yet but Randy thought they would be nice together.

“You know I heard a few guys have asked Liz to the dance.”

Klaus tensed for one second before he looked up from his work. “Well, Liz is pretty. I would be surprised if no one asked her.”

“I would think you would have wanted to go with her,” Randy said. Klaus put the papers in his hand down on the desk and leaned back in his chair.

“Why would you think that? Unless her date puts her in immediate danger, which wouldn’t happen, then I have no reason to intervene.” Klaus said.

“No reason to intervene? Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure.” Klaus furrowed his eyebrows at Randy’s question and the other man sighed.

“Alright, fine.” Randy would wait and bring up Liz another time maybe later tonight, if he remembered. 

He was ready to leave the academy. He waved his hand over the stack of papers on the desk and they moved into a neat pile. He decided he could use a little bit of magic if it meant getting out of this room quicker. “The work is done.”

“Getting cabin fever?” Klaus smirked at him.

“Yes, I am and I know you are too. Let’s go hunting and get out of these constricting forms for a few hours. Are you coming or not?”

“I am, I’ve been wanting to shed this prison of flesh for days now.” Klaus flashed a fanged smile at Randy and his eyes slowly shifted from violet to black. “Call everyone and have them meet us deep in the woods. We can’t take the risk of shifting so close to the academy.”

Liz was fast asleep when she was suddenly aware of something moving next to her. She woke up to see Cerberus rising to his feet.

“Where are you off to?” Liz yawned.

Cerberus let out an excited bark and a low whistle echoed through the room.

“Oh, is someone calling you?” Cerberus nodded and Liz got up. “Can I come with you?”

The hound seemed to think for a moment and shook his large head back and forth.

“No? Why?”

Cerberus narrowed his eyes at Liz but she ignored him. She slipped her boots on and grabbed her jacket. Cerberus howled and a portal appeared in the room. He ran towards the portal and Liz followed behind him. He turned and gave her a low warning growl and Liz took a step back. When he was satisfied she wasn’t following him Cerberus bounded forward through the portal. Before it could close though Liz slipped in behind him.

They landed in a field and Cerberus turned on her and snarled. Liz noticed Elias and Amelia standing several feet away. In front of them, two giant beasts were wrestling in the grass. Elias heard Cerberus growl at Liz and turned to face them. His eyes widened when he noticed her and he stormed towards them.