Chapter 21

The temple in front of them had been beautiful once. Now, its crumbling structure left much to be desired. The four figures cloaked in darkness had been watching it warily for several minutes.

“It doesn’t make sense,” Phaedon whispered. “Shouldn’t it be more…protected?”

“I highly doubt it isn’t.” Daphne hissed. “We probably just don’t see the defenses. Just because it looks easy to breach doesn’t mean it will be.”

Liz watched as Charis’ gaze scanned their surroundings. “There is nothing out here but Daphne is right. This won’t be easy.” 

“So, what’s the plan?” Liz said.

“Well, we can’t very well make a plan if we don’t know what’s waiting for us, or the spell in question,” Charis said.

“What do you suggest?”

“Improvise and hope for the best?” Phaedon shrugged a hint of question in his voice.

“Is that how all your battle strategies usually play out?” Daphne growled.

“Usually, it drove everyone crazy during the war. Sebastian and Isidore especially, are sticklers for plans.” Phaedon smirked and stood from his crouch.

“I’m surprised the two of them don’t have any gray hair with you around to annoy them,” Daphne whispered.

“You can thank immortality for the lack of aging due to stress. Also, I’m a treasure. All your lives would be very dull without me.” Phaedon stalked forward out of the brush and his wings disappeared from his back. Charis shook his head and followed after him, his wings disappearing as well. Liz wished she could make hers vanish, the thought of being anywhere near a fight with them out in the open made her nervous. Liz tried once again to hide her wings away and was shocked when it worked. She let out a disbelieving laugh and looked over her shoulder to see that her wings were gone. Instead of trying to picture herself without them she had just ordered them away. Maybe the magic was simpler than she thought? Daphne took a deep breath and gave Liz a small tired smile. 

They kept to the treeline and the shadows as they made their way to the entrance of the temple. 

It was dark and the scent of stale air clung to them as they walked through the rows of thick columns. The floors were a crumbling marble and puddles of rainwater were scattered across the surface. It made walking quietly almost impossible. 

Phaedon was in front of the group with his sword in his hand. Liz watched the way he moved with growing curiosity. Phaedon was extremely easy to dismiss usually. He was loud and snarky and too arrogant for his own good. Liz had only seen him in a combat situation one time and hadn’t really had time to observe him and the way he fought. Now she was wishing she had paid more attention.

He was extremely graceful and the way he held the weapon in his hand was remarkable. It rested at his side but he held it like an extension of himself. All humor had gone from his features and a look of focus and calculation had taken its place. Liz considered what she actually knew about Phaedon and wondered how much of his cheerful attitude was a mask.

They crept into a long narrow room and scanned their surroundings. Nothing moved in the quiet room and it set Liz’s teeth on edge. Where were the defenses, the guards, surely it had to be harder than this?

A familiar slithering sound drifted from the side of the room. Before the group could even react a seraphim lunged out of the shadows and took Phaedon to the floor of the temple. Phaedon growled loudly and fought to get the upper hand on the beast. They crashed into a nearby column and the thick marble fell in a cloud of debris.