Chapter 9

“How is she?”

Quiet whispering voices brought Liz from her sleep. She frowned at the interruption and rolled over. The stars shone through the darkness outside the window and she wondered how early it was.

“She’s perfectly fine,” Amelia whispered. “After Klaus took her back to the dorm he came to get me so she wouldn’t be alone. Cerberus has been within a foot of her at all times since he arrived. We baked cookies and she did a little bit of studying. She told me she’s okay, she just has some thinking to do. How’s Klaus?”

“He’s pretty shaken up about it all. They both just got to the point where they are comfortable around each other. It was turning into something. All of a sudden now they find out in the future they’re together and Liz is somehow an angel? Now, Klaus is afraid that Liz will feel forced into a relationship, just because of fate. He’s not in a good mood. When I left he and Vincent were stepping into the sparring ring.” The soothing voice said. 

It was Elaine, Liz realized. 

“Oh no, the castle won’t be standing when we get back.”

There were a few giggles before Elaine spoke again. “I went and got Phaedon and Theodora from the heavens. They’re supervising, well that’s not entirely accurate. When I left they were making bets on who would win the fight and drinking. Your guess of the palace being in ruins may not be too far off.” Elaine said.

“We should do something to take Liz’s mind off of everything,” Amelia said. There was a long pause and Elaine sighed.

“I have an idea, I’ll be back. I need to go to the heavens and grab a few things and tell Sebastian I won’t be home tonight.” 

It was silent in the room for a few minutes and Liz finally rolled back over to look at Amelia. She yawned and Cerberus laid his head on her chest. “I heard what you two were talking about.”

Amelia got up and sat on the end of her bed. “Elaine want’s to do something fun. Are you up for it?”

“Sure, any idea what she has in mind?”

“No clue,” Amelia said.

“I’m up for anything at this point as long as it’s entertaining. Do you think we could convince Theodora and Elaine to take us flying?”

“Well, Theodora might not be sober. I’m sure later if you look pitiful enough and look at them both with big sad eyes they might.” Amelia giggled.

“Oh, I’m in a pitiful mood so it shouldn’t be that hard. Plus my eyes are adorable.” Liz grinned.

“Atta girl. Go take a bath and get dressed and we’ll ask.” Amelia shook her head in amusement and Liz jumped out of bed.

A crack rang through the air as Vincent’s fist collided with Klaus’ jaw. Klaus reigned in his shock and blocked the next blow, shoving Vincent away from him. The two men circled the perimeter of the ring, assessing each other’s movements. Klaus spat the blood from his mouth and Vincent smirked. 

“Had enough yet?”

Klaus scoffed and extended his hand. His claws slid from the tips of his fingers and his canines lengthened. He took a deep breath and calmed his racing heart. “Why don’t we make this more interesting?”

Vincent laughed and summoned his own claws and fangs.

“First one with a bite to the shoulder loses.”

They took a moment to catch their breath and to strategize. Klaus had a split lip and his jaw was already bruising. Vincent had a black eye and indents in one of his arms where Klaus had grabbed him. Bruises bloomed over one side of Klaus’ ribs but his breathing didn’t seem affected.