Chapter 23: Alternate Beginning

Summary:

This was a birthday present for my friend Giulia that I posted over on Tumblr. She helped me write this fic and has fallen in love with these characters as well. lol. This is a storyline we've been discussing for months.

How this works in comparison to DiSaG is that Sebastian broke his possession long ago before Klaus and Elias were even born. Liz doesn't figure out who Klaus is until the end of this one-shot. Everything else is basically the same. Also, a reminder, my timeline for my Liz is slightly different than canon. She loses her parents at age 9 and attends the academy around age 22.

This was just something fun I wrote while I was blocked on chapter 22 and I thought I would share it on AO3 as well. :D The next chapter will be posted soon.

Chapter Text

The moonlight cast shadows across the wood floor and the trees moving outside the windows made the darkness shift and dance. Liz watched them from her spot against the wall. She didn't know how long she had sat there in her own sick. The thick scent clung to her like a blanket and added to her discomfort.

Her parents had passed days ago and she could feel the disease that had taken them ravish her body. She knew it would only be a matter of time before death claimed her.

When she realized she was sick, she had prayed to every deity she could think of to save her. She had screamed and cried for anyone to take away her pain but either no one in the village heard her or they were smart enough not to enter the house.

That had been days ago and now she was blessed with a pleasant calm. She would not cry anymore and she would welcome death with open arms. Her breathing was shallow and she closed her eyes to rest. Perhaps she would go peacefully in her sleep.

A loud crack echoed through the room and her eyes flew open at the sound. Her vision swam but two figures slowly came into view. They were sitting in the armchair across the room from her watching her curiously. The woman perched on the arm of the chair was the most beautiful creature Liz had ever seen.

She was slim with lush curves and a full mouth. Her face was soft and perfectly proportionate. Blonde hair fell in loose waves down her back and her emerald green eyes flashed in the darkness. She was poised and elegant and she regarded Liz with concern.

She stood to her feet and Liz watched in awe as green feathered wings spread from her back. The sound of her boots against the wood floor echoed through the still room as she walked across the room. Her movements were slow and sure like she was trying not to spook Liz. She knelt in front of her and gently grasped Liz's chin in her palm.

"Hello, my darling. Stay still for me." The angel spoke softly. Her voice was rich and melodic. Liz licked her dry lips and nodded feebly.

It wasn't a hard request for Liz to fulfill she didn't think she could move even if she wanted to. She was so exhausted. Suddenly the angel's eyes glowed in the darkness and Liz felt a power grab a hold of her. It was a strange feeling like a weight had settled deep in the pit of her stomach. The power moved through every bit of her body slowly. She didn't know what was happening or what the angel was doing. Was she about to die? Was that why this divine being had shown up? Or was the angel answering her desperate prayer?

"Well?"

Liz jumped at the sound of another voice. She had forgotten that there had been another figure in the room and her eyes snapped back to the chair. A man was sitting on it and gazing at Liz apathetically. He had his elbow resting on the arm of the chair and had rested his chin on his fist as he watched. His dark blonde hair was windswept and he was dressed casually. Liz regarded the baldric full of daggers draped across his chest with curiosity. He was certainly handsome but there was something very closed off about him.