Chapter 11

NSFW content in this chapter. It starts at “We are. I’m simply pointing out that it could be a possibility.” and goes until the end of that section.

Also, there is mild violence in this chapter (broken bones, things like that). It’s nothing super graphic but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Music inspiration: “Do I Wanna Know?” by Arctic Monkeys, “My Name is Liar” by Highasakite, “Wreak Havoc” by Skylar Grey.

(See the end of the chapter formore notes.)

Chapter Text

Klaus rubbed his temples as he listened to two of his commanders argue. Apparently, some of the demons had found a hole in the defenses of the underworld and escaped to the surface. The damage had been repaired but now four hundred demons were roaming the earth. Vincent had assembled his officers to see if they could come up with a plan to hunt them all down. 

Klaus had been in this meeting for two and a half hours and he was tempted to just dive off the balcony and fly away. He sent Liz out of the room an hour ago when he realized how bored she had gotten. He didn’t blame her at all, he was tired of listening to his council as well.

“Enough.” Klaus glared at both of the demons. “I don’t care how you accomplish it, just get it taken care of. Check the wards around the underworld and make sure there aren’t any other holes. Then gather a search party to track everyone down. Notify me when you have a lead and I’ll help. We’re done for the day.” 

He stood and the demons bowed their heads respectively. He thanked them and walked out of the room, his cloak swirling around him menacingly. After entering the hallway and closing the doors behind him he snapped his fingers. His cloak disappeared and his wings appeared and stretched behind him. The width of the hallway wasn’t wide enough for him to stretch them to their full length but it felt good to not have to hide them anymore. 

In reality, he didn’t have to hide them from the demons. He could hold council meetings with them in plain sight if he wished, but he found the demons respected him a little more when they weren’t reminded that he was an archangel. 

If it helped his time in the underworld a little then he guessed he didn’t mind having to hide them.

At the end of the hallway, he vanished and reappeared in his rooms. He loosened his tie and took a step when he suddenly heard a noise on the balcony. He tensed and sniffed the air. A familiar scent washed over him and he sighed. It was just Liz.

He made his way outside and found her leaning against the railing of the balcony, reading a book. “Why are you out here?” He held his hand out and a blanket appeared in his hands. He draped it over her and she smiled up at him. His breath hitched as he looked into her eyes and he shook his head to clear it. Her eyes always had that affect on him.

“I like the smell of the underworld,” Liz replied. “It smells like chypre. Like smoke, spice, and moss. It’s relaxing. Have you ever noticed?”

Klaus thought about it for a minute and shook his head. “Maybe when I first came here, now I think I’m so accustomed to it that I just automatically tune it out. It’s freezing out here, though. You should really come inside.”

“Klaus I lived in a small cottage that was not very warm in the winter I’m used to the cold. I don’t mind it.” She wrapped the blanket around her legs and Klaus frowned at her statement.

“Did you struggle? You were so young and you were on your own.” Klaus tilted his head.

Liz chewed her lip as she thought. “I did but I always made it. A lot of the villagers helped me as much as they could but resources were scarce in the winter. So I was cold and hungry a lot.”