Chapter 5

Liz woke with a jolt. She quickly looked around her dark bedroom and let out a sigh of relief. There were no Seraphim surrounding her, no demons, just a silent room. She rolled over and frowned when she saw that Amelia’s bed was empty. She hoped Amelia was with Vincent and not out hunting more Seraphim.

Liz noticed a large black shadow move next to her and she tensed. Two orange glowing eyes blinked in the darkness and she realized it was Cerberus. He laid his head on her bed and nudged her with his nose.

She reached out and ran her fingers through his soft fur. He tilted his head and Liz could practically read the concern in his gaze. “I’m fine, I just had a nightmare. I’m also worried about Elias. I would certainly sleep better if I knew he was okay.” Cerberus jumped up and began to wag his tail excitedly.

“What is it?”

He looked around the room for a second and then trotted over to where her boots were sitting. He picked them up in his mouth and sat them in front of her. Then he pulled her coat off the back of her chair and dragged it to her.

“You want me to get dressed?”

Cerberus dropped into a playful crouch and gave an enthusiastic yip. “Okay, okay.”

Liz giggled and slipped her boots and coat on. Cerberus threw his head back and howled. A black rift appeared in front of them and Cerberus bounded towards it. He looked back to make sure Liz was following him and the two stepped into nothingness.

The sight that greeted her was shocking. Cerberus had landed them on the bank of a river. Cliffs made out of onyx stretched on either side of it and seemed to go up as far as the eye could see.  

Cerberus turned to her and tugged on her sleeve to indicate that he wanted her to follow him. The wolf was different in the underworld. He appeared larger and shadows swirled around him menacingly. Even his fur seemed to stand on edge. 

“Ah, Cerberus you are only supposed to bring me souls that are dead. Bringing me a living soul is like bringing a half dead bird to your master’s door.” A voice hissed from the darkness. 

Cerberus snarled and a cloaked figure stepped from the shadows. He reeked of sulfur and Liz took a step away from him. She could barely make out his eyes from beneath his hood. They burned like two coals in a fire.

“At ease, Charon. I’ll escort her to the castle. There is no need for you to take her across the river.”

A blonde woman stepped forward from the darkness. Her long hair fell in waves down her back and a small silver diadem sat on top of the curls. She looked Liz up and down with a calculating gaze and Liz was taken in by the hue of her eyes. They were green, almost like emeralds. They matched the feathered wings that spread from her back. She was the most beautiful creature Liz had ever seen. 

“I bow to your will, Commander.” The being named Charon lowered its head.

“Come with me Miss Hart.” The woman held out her hand and Liz took it. They disappeared in a flash and reappeared in a lavish entryway. Candles lined the room and Liz spun in a circle as she looked around. “You’ll have to excuse Charon he’s ancient and enjoys toying with souls.”

“Liz!”

Amelia barreled down the hallway towards her and hugged her friend. “Why are you in the underworld?”

“I wanted to see Elias so Cerberus took me here.” 

Cerberus looked away from them with a guilty expression on his face and the woman next to them snorted. “If you want to see Elias then you can follow me. I must warn you though he’s been confined to his bed for the night and he’s grumpy.”