Chapter 4

Notes:

Music: Strength of a Thousand Men by Thomas Bergersen

Classes were almost done for the day and Liz was dreading her first lesson with Klaus. When she stepped out into the hallway she found Elias waiting on her.

“You’re going to train with me today.” He pushed off the wall and began to walk down the hallway. Liz followed after him.

“Where is Klaus?”

Elias waited until they were on the outskirts of the courtyard before he answered. “He’s hunting with Amelia, Vincent, and Randy. There was a pack of Seraphim spotted just north of the Academy. They are leading the pack away from the school so they can kill them.”

“Oh, why aren’t you with them?”

“Someone has to stay here and protect the humans.” Elias grabbed Liz’s elbow and the world blurred. The sensation made her nauseous and when her vision was normal again they were standing in a large clearing.

“I wish you would give me a warning before doing that.” 

“Sorry, it’s second nature for demons to be able to teleport. I didn’t think about what it would feel like for you.” Elias frowned.

“It’s fine. It’s easier than walking deep into the woods. I’ll get used to it. What are we going to do today?”

Elias pointed to a stack of wood. “Light a fire.”

“That’s it?” Liz asked. She pulled out her wand and pointed it at the wood. “Flau.”

A fire ignited and burned for thirty seconds. Elias waved his hand and a gust of wind suppressed the fire. “Again.”

“Why?”

“Because.” Elias pointed at the wood.

“Fine.” Liz pushed up her sleeves and took a breath. “Flau.” 

Liz lit fire after fire and Elias extinguished them all. The sun was beginning to set behind the trees and Liz was sure she had made at least fifty fires. She was panting when Elias gave her the order to light another fire.

“This time, I want you to keep it blazing for ten minutes without stopping.” 

“I can’t,” Liz breathed. “I’ve been using my magic all day and it’s spent.”

“This will help build your stamina. Just try, please.” Elias said.

“Okay.” Liz lit the fire and concentrated all of her energy into it. Suddenly the fire shot upward into a blaze and licked at the sky. Elias jumped at the sudden onslaught and raised both of his hands. Wind whipped around the clearing and soon the fire was smothered.

“Okay, so when you’re tired your power flares instead of waning. Good to know.” Elias panted. “I think you’re done for the day. This gave me a good understanding of your limits and I can pass the information on to Klaus. You’ll start training with him tomorrow unless he hasn’t found the pack of Seraphim yet.”

“Sorry, I didn’t singe you did I?” Liz asked.

“No, come on we should go back to the dorms. It’s getting late.”

They turned to go when a hissing sound came from the woods. Elias whipped around to face the sound and Liz saw his eyes widen in fear. “Liz come here.” Elias extended his hand and grabbed Liz’s arm. She felt the familiar tug of teleportation but nothing happened.

“Elias, what is it?”

“Seraphim.” Elias hissed and Liz saw his eyes go black. Claws slid from the tips of his fingers and he moved to stand in front of Liz.