Chapter 13

Notes:

The vows mentioned are from Outlander and a poem called “The Privileged Lovers” by Rumi.

Music Inspiration: Monsters by Ruelle.

Chapter Text

Klaus walked into his room and felt the tension drain from his body. The exhaustion was settling into his bones and he knew he could only stay awake for a little longer. His body was demanding sleep and he was more than happy to oblige. He pulled back one of the curtains dividing the room and stopped as he took in the sight in front of him.

Liz was curled up on his side of the bed with the covers wrapped around her body. She looked cold and Klaus sighed. He made his way quietly to the fireplace across the room and shot a flame from his palm into its center. The wood caught fire and Klaus used his powers to force the heat into the room.

With one last glance at Liz, he walked into his closet to change. Even in his exhausted state, his mind was constantly running through tasks he needed to do. He wished his thoughts would just be quiet for a few minutes. When he was changed he padded across the cold floor to the bed.

Liz had a tight grip on the blankets and Klaus tried to figure out a way to wrestle the covers from her and not wake her. He finally found a corner of the blanket and unraveled her so he could fix the sheets. He was just about to climb into bed when something around her neck shimmered in the moonlight.

Klaus froze as he recognized the votum from the underworlds jewels. How on earth had she gotten that? The only other people that had touched the crown jewels lately were Elaine and…

Phaedon.

Klaus exhaled through his nose at the realization and shook his head. He didn’t know what his friend was playing at but the other angel needed to mind his own business.

He sighed and gently reached for Liz’s neck. Klaus found the hidden clasp at the side of the ornate necklace and slid it off of her carefully. Liz gasped as the cool metal slid from her neck and Klaus froze in an attempt not to disturb her further. When he was sure she was still sleeping he waved his hand over the votum. It disappeared and was on its way back to the vaults. He would have a talk with Phaedon about this later.

Liz shivered at the loss of the covers and Klaus quickly laid down next to her and pulled her against him. She relaxed into his embrace and he smiled at the sight of her in his arms. Quickly he wrapped the blankets around them and soon he was drifting off to sleep.

Lightning cracked across the bleak sky and illuminated the dark clouds drifting by. The rain was coming down in sheets and it made visibility almost impossible. A figure broke through the clouds and was falling at an alarming speed.

Phaedon was unconscious and limp as he plummeted through the darkness. A loud crack rang through the sky as thunder boomed. Spyridon was frantically racing after his unconscious husband in an attempt to catch him. His wings burned at the strain of his desperate speed and he forced himself to move faster.

He caught Phaedon’s wrist in his hand and stopped him just before he slammed into the ground. Spyridon pulled his husband into his arms and gently lowered his body to the forest floor. His pulse was still strong and Spyridon exhaled a sigh of relief. Why was he unconscious? They had been flying and then suddenly Phaedon had just stopped.

He pressed a kiss to Phaedon’s forehead and was getting ready to take off again when the trees and bushes around the clearing began to rustle. The scent of brimstone and sulfur filled Spyridon’s senses and he exhaled angrily through his nostrils.