Chapter 17

Notes:

@his-beloved-mrs-mikaelson on tumblr made posters for this story and I’ve been looking at them all day. :) I might’ve squealed a little when I saw them. lol http://his-beloved-mrs-mikaelson.tumblr.com/post/157015573424/dreaming-in-silver-and-gold-by

The next few chapters are probably my favorite. Mild mentions of gore in the last section. It isn’t shown but it’s briefly thought about in the second paragraph.

Chapter Text

Klaus lounged on his throne as he listened to the souls in front of him beg for mercy. He had already taken a look at their lives and choices and knew they were all going to damnation. He was prolonging judgment though, why not let them grovel and beg for a few minutes? They certainly deserved worse than a few moments of injured dignity. Lilith would have fun with this group.

Ice and darkness crept up his spine as Amelia’s skeletal hand slid onto his shoulder. He could hear the shadows that constantly swirled around her whispering to him and he batted her away. She floated past him, her tattered cloak rippling behind her like ink in water.

“What is your judgment, My Lord?”

Klaus opened his mouth to answer her when a feeling of emptiness suddenly washed over him. The arms of the rock throne cracked under his grip and he snarled. He couldn’t feel Liz’s soul. He slammed his staff on the ground and the souls in front of him exploded into a fine mist. Lilith would have to put them back together but he didn’t care.

He was up out of his throne and striding through his palace before Amelia had even transformed out of her reaper form. She finally caught up with him and ran in order to match his stride. 

“What’s going on?”

“I can’t feel Liz’s soul,” Klaus growled. “It’s there but it’s cut off from me. Something is wrong.” 

“Is she dead?”

“No, if she was-” Klaus swallowed thickly and took a deep breath.  “-if she was dead then I would have her soul already. Something is very wrong.”

“What do you need?” Amelia asked.

“Go get the others and meet me on the surface. Now.” 

Amelia vanished in a puff of smoke leaving him alone. As Klaus walked, darkness surrounded him and his armor replaced the fine clothes on his body. Klaus adjusted his gauntlets and swords before he whistled loudly. 

He opened a portal to the overworld just as Cerberus and the other hellhounds appeared next to him. They could read Klaus’ anger and fear and the group of them were a mass of snarling and rage. Cerberus’ hackles were raised as he stood next to his master and watched his pack bound out of the underworld. 

Klaus slipped into the portal behind them and into the darkness. When he emerged onto the mountain even the fresh air didn’t calm him. The night air was cool and smelt of the earth and grass. He ran his hands through the fur on Cerberus’ back as he tried to slow his racing heart.

He raised his head to the sky and sniffed the air. The scent of vanilla, citrus, and lavender caught his attention and he sighed. Elaine and Liz’s scents were still fresh which meant hopefully he could catch up to them quickly. He heard movement behind him as he walked signaling the arrival of Amelia and the others. They trailed after him as he followed the trail Elaine and Liz had left. He was afraid of what he would find when the forest cleared. If someone had stolen a soul from him or harmed Elaine or Liz he would hunt the culprit to the ends of the earth. Then after he killed them slowly he would make their afterlife eternal suffering.