Chapter 5

Chapter 5 

Maui's POV

  I had quite the beating thanks to Tamatoa. I don't remember him being as strong as he is now. I'm just thankful that despite the bruises plaguing my body, I was able to get back my hook and Moana was able to keep the heart of Te Fiti out of Tamatoa's clutches. I knew that he'd be dumb enough to fall for the decoy heart that Moana somehow managed to create in such a short period of time. That girl is something else. "Moana, I have to hand to you once again. You really saved my ass back there. Thank you." Moana starts to smile at me but then she jumps back, her eyes nearly bugging out of her head. I groan. "For once, I'm actually trying to be sincere and it seems like you're distracted." Moana tries to cover up her shock. "Me, distracted, no..." I then take a hand to feel my face. "Sharkhead." Moana nods and I sigh. I pick up my hook and try to shift back to my normal self. It takes me several attempts before I'm successfully able to do so.

   Moana smirks at me once I'm back in my normal form. "You should have stayed a sharkhead. You look better that way." I roll my eyes. "Ha ha, very funny. Anyways, we should probably get a few hours of rest before we continue onto Te Fiti. I'd say to rest on the boat, but to be honest, I need a little break from sailing. We'll head out first thing in the morning. Does that sound good?" She nods. "That sounds good." I watch her set up a bed of sorts for herself. She adjusts it a bit before laying down on it. "Good night Maui." A small smile tugs at my lips. "Good night Moana." Moana's then out like a light. Meanwhile, I'm exhausted but yet my mind won't allow me to fall asleep just yet so I decide to grab a bit to eat in the hopes that by the time I'm done, I'll be able to fall asleep. 

Forty five minutes later...

   I go to my "bed", adjust myself a bit, and fall asleep rather quickly. Surprisingly, I have mainly pleasant dreams rather than a chalk filled night of nightmares. I'm guessing it's because of Moana's presence. 

Three hours later...

   I begin to shift in my sleep when I hear loud whimpers. I quickly wake up when I notice the whimpers are coming from Moana, who's curled up in a ball. A frown finds its way to my face as I walk over to where she's sleeping and I gently wake her up. Moana wakes up after I shake her a few more times and looks at me in confusion. "Maui, why are you waking me up so early?" I blush slightly. "Well you seemed to be having some really bad nightmares. You were whimpering and curled up into a ball. Are you okay?" She sighs. "I-I'm fine Maui. I'm sorry that I woke you up. You can go back to sleep now." I look at her with uncertainty. "Are you sure?" "I'm sure Maui. Thank you for the concern though. I think I'm going to go for a walk." I nod. "Be careful though, okay?" Moana gives me a tired smile. "I will." I watch her go for a walk. She thankfully stays within a safe distance. I try to get my body to let me go back to sleep for at least a couple more hours but it doesn't. 

  Half an hour later...

    Moana comes back her walk and frowns down at me. "Maui, why didn't you back to sleep?" I chuckle tiredly. "I couldn't so I gave up. How was your walk?" "It was nice, it helped me to clear my mind a bit." I pat the spot next to me and she sits down beside me, the two of us sitting a peaceful silence watching the beginning of the sunrise. Moana smiles adorably and watches the sunrise with admiration. "It sure is beautiful isn't it?" I smile back. "Yes, it sure is." Little does Moana know that instead of looking at the sunrise, I'm looking right at her. Moana's managed to get under my skin in a way that no other girl has ever been able to before. That's both a very good and a very bad thing... 

Two hours later...

   We eat a quick breakfast, prep the boat, and sail back off towards our main destination, Te Fiti. Hopefully Te Fiti will still be somewhat in tact when we get there, despite me basically cursing the world and Te Fiti as we know it. 

Hoped that you guys liked this chapter! By the way, my first cover of How Far I'll Go from Moana was very butchered so I decided to redo it! Feel free to check it out! It's attached below. :) -Mary