Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Moana's POV

A couple days later... 

   Maui and I are arriving into Te Fiti... and it's all gone. In Te Fiti's place, is nothing but ruins of smoke and ash... well that and a demon named Te Ka has arisen. This isn't good... "Maui, Te Fiti, it's all gone. What are we going to do?" He grimaces. "We have to fight." I look at him in fear. "We? Maui, I don't know how to fight." "You'll mainly be on the boat but you'll need to help me find a way in. I'll try my best to hold Te Ka off long enough for you to place the heart in the right place. Hopefully, we will come out of this alive and Te Fiti will be revived." I nod nervously and begin adjusting the sails, trying to find a way in. As I do, Maui starts freaking out. "Moana, we're never going to make it!" "Yes we will Maui." A grunt escapes me as I continue to attempt to weave our way in, despite our path being narrow and Te Ka throwing fire balls at us. A big one then strikes us, causing us and the boat to fly back a long distance from Te Ka. 

   Eerie silence washes over us as Maui and I swim back onto the boat, though he just sits there for several minutes with his hook in his hand. I gasp when I see that it's cracked. "I told you to turn back.", he says in an empty tone of voice. "I thought we could make it." He raises an eyebrow. "We?" I frown. "I thought I could make it. We can fix it." Maui glares at me. "It was made by the Gods, we can't fix it." "Next time we'll be more careful. Te Ka was stuck on the barrier islands, it's lava, it can't go in the water so we can find a way around." I can see the anger forming on Maui's face. "I'm not going back." My heart begins to ache. "Maui, we have to restore the heart." "One more hit and it's over." "Maui, you have to restore the heart!" Maui's about to explode. "Without my hook, I am nothing." I whimper. "Maui, that's not true." He gets close to me and begins shouting. "WITHOUT MY HOOK, I AM NOTHING!!!!" My anxiety begins to rise but I try my best to mask it. 

   Maui then drops the heart out of anger. Suddenly, a round of anger overcomes me. "We're only here because YOU stole the heart in the first place." A guilty look temporarily forms on his face before shifting back into an expression of anger. "No, we're here because the ocean told you that you're special and you believed it." "I am Moana of Montonui, you will board my boat..." "Goodbye Moana." "Sail across the sea." Maui grabs a hold of my shoulders and roughly shakes me. "I'M NOT KILLING MYSELF SO YOU CAN PROVE YOU'RE SOMETHING YOU'RE NOT!!!!" Tears could my vision. "And restore the heart of Te Fiti. The ocean chose me!" Maui looks me right in the eyes and says "The ocean chose wrong.", shattering my heart into a million pieces. Without another word, he grabs his hook, shapeshifts into a hawk, and flies off into the night. 

    My tears then finally fall as I beg the ocean to take back the heart and choose someone else. Maui's right, I'm not the right person for this mission. There are way better people than I restore the heart of Te Fiti. I'm just some stupid teenage girl from another realm who has no clue what she's doing. Suddenly out of nowhere, my grandmother appears in spirit form. A surge of happiness overcomes me as I throw myself into her arms. I break down instantly and she rubs my back in circles, eventually calming me down enough so that I can finally speak. "Moana, you've tried so hard. It's okay if you want to turn back and go home. I won't hold it against you." Hesitation then gets the best of me and she notices. "Why do you hesitate?" I sigh. "I really want to see this through, but I don't Maui by my side to help me anymore." Grandma Tala then wraps an arm around me and then starts singing.

  I know a girl from an island

She stands apart from the crowd
She loves the sea and her people
She makes her whole family proud
Sometimes the world seems against you
The journey may leave a scar
But scars can heal and reveal just
Where you are
The people you love will change you
The things you have learned will guide you
And nothing on earth can silence
The quiet voice still inside you
And when that voice starts to whisper
Moana, you've come so far
Moana, listen
Do you know who you are?Who am I?
I am a girl who loves my island
I'm the girl who loves the sea
It calls me
I am the daughter of the village chief
We are descended from voyagers
Who found their way across the world
They call me
I've delivered us to where we are
I have journeyed farther
I am everything I've learned and more
Still it calls me
And the call isn't out there at all, it's inside me
It's like the tide; always falling and rising
I will carry you here in my heart you'll remind me
That come what may
I know the way
I am Moana!

  Grandma Tala then gives me one last loving smile, hug, and kiss on the forehead before fading back into the night, leaving me with a newfound confidence to see this through, with or without Maui's help. 

Hoped that you guys liked this chapter! :) -Mary